First Work: Silver Leaf knife.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Well, at some point, I think you pretty much have to at least demonstrate that you're attempting to actually engrave, so here goes. This is the first "actual" item past practice plates/my left hand that I've engraved on. It's a small Silver Leaf knife, evidently meant to be worn around the neck as a ornament. (Really?!?)

The "theme" I tried was "Seasons", and attempted to progress from spring through winter. Not sure that I got anywhere close to there.

My own good news is that I actually drew this out myself on the piece (the silver sharpie trick was great). I felt this was a personal success all by itself because 6 months ago I'd never drawn a thing. Turns out, it's hard work, but learnable-ish.

So, here it is... My official "debutante" photo. Recommendations appreciated, especially as these little stainless Silver Leaf knives were cheaper than steel practice plates, and so, I have ...several. :)

Bob

PS - Yes, the photo is terrible, sorry, I'll get better as I have betterer things to photo.

Silver Leaf Knife.jpg

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, Don -

I bought them online - pricing varies widely from site to site, especially if you buy in any bulk, but it all seems to be the same knife. The ones I bought were on the electronic clearance rack at some tactical knife dealer; I do remember I found them not through text search but several image searches. I looked for them because they were mentioned in a previous thread here.

The engraved portion is about 2.3" high and a shade under 1/2" at its widest. Thanks for your comment!

Bob

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I kind of see your seasons. It is good to move to projects isn't it. You'll get better as you graver control improves. put this away as you will want to compare in a year from now. Fred

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Fred, great idea. Perhaps I'll cap each month with one of these, date it, and chuck all of them in said drawer for an "end of year review" to see my (hopefully) incremental improvement. Thanks for looking and commenting. Bob

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
looks good, can I recommend you do something to the negative space it will help your engraving stand out

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos - Know exactly what you're getting at. Sorta worked myself into a corner with the bottom half 'winter' stippling (among other ill conceived show stoppers) and didn't know what to do from there. I'll give it a shot - fearlessness is one of the advantages of not having customers! :) Really appreciate the critique. Bob

Dragonsfire

I love working on the Siverleaf knives! I bought a box of them a few years ago just for experimental concepts. The cut wonderfully and can be polished up to be (almost) jewelry. Here is the last one I did for my daughter. She uses it as a keychain. Keep cutting!

Attachments

• silverleafandi.jpg
    silverleafandi.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 222

Latest posts

Sponsors