Popp'in the chip

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
In studying M Hunt's "English Fine Scroll" the geometry of the graver(air assisted) that pops the chip, many "things" influence the flexibility of the graver to pop the chip. Not only its shape but the material the graver is made off, carbide or HSS; the length of graver; slight hollow grinding of graver. For the beginner there are no personal preferences. What are some of these beginning point to develop personal preferences from? Length of graver relative to hand piece, material and basic shape of graver Carbide/HSS-Rd/Sq, hollow grinding, etc. Of course technique only develops with practice and is certainly a primary if not the primary ingredient in popp'in the chip.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't over think it. A long taper down to a fine point will do the job. I use standard Glensteel gravers. Tapered down to almost a needle point before shaping the tip. You can still pop the chips out with a fairly heavy graver but the thin profile helps immensely. Just cut teardrops against a line till it feels right.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you can pop almost with a coldchisel. at least i can. i find it's a wrist action combined with perfect timing. popping early or late, you'll either have a too-short line, or drat--a bit of a line where you don't want it. once you learn this, it happens without thinking about it.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Monk sad: ".....once you learn this, it happens without thinking about it."

Thanks

Latest posts

Sponsors