Potential vibration based nerve damage? White finger?

jzknives

So after a day of relief engraving with my new magnagraver. I lost feeling in parts of my thumb. This has happened before with other tools but it usually went away by the next morning.

It's going on nearly 5 days and while it's a lot less severe , it's still there and I'm getting worried.

There is no discoloration or anything , but the thumb still is numb in places.

Is there anything I can do?

Also tips on how to not have this happen again with my magnagraver would be welcomed.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Try wrapping the tool in neoprene sheet, Vetwrap or even an Ace bandage and see if that helps.

It probably won't help if you are prone to or already have Reynauds syndrome...

If it is some variation of carpal tunnel damage, there are various non surgical treatments you can try first.

In my case, early on - during the first 15 years of hand pushing - carpal tunnel damage resulted in 3 surgical carpal tunnel "interventions".

Over the next 20 years I've had 2 more. Total of 5 so far.

Then there were the 2 elbow release surgeries and shoulder surgery that came after...

Switching over completely to pneumatic tools has made a big difference to me for the last 15 years or so.

However, engraving and working with your fingers, hands, wrists, arms and shoulders for long enough, will eventually extract a price from you - as does age...

Brian

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was diagnosed with tendinitis of the thumb on Monday. Probable causes engraver vibration and iPhone usage. Cortisone shot and a comfort cool neoprene thumb splint for padding and I've been inlaying 18K for 2 days. No problems yet.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I spent $6,500 on my carpal tunnel with my orthopedic Dr. who was a farrier customer of mine.
He advised me to have surgery .
While discussing this with a friend, she suggested the vitamin B6.
Bingo ! 90% restoration.
After shoeing the Doc's horses one day I told him about the miraculous results and asked him what happened.
He said the B6 healed my tendons and ligaments.
Then, I asked why he didn't recommend the B6 at the get go, to which he just smiled, got in his Mercedes and went home.
After researching, I found that B6 up to 300 mg\ day is beneficial, above that it becomes toxic.
20+ years now and symptom free.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep, the B6 seems to help some with residual carpal tunnel pain. At least makes it bearable.

As does limiting the causes by raising prices and being more choosy about what work to take in...

In the end, it's your body. It's got a pretty limited warranty, if any.

Best not to test that warranty by maxing out on any one thing.

Brian

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The bet way to cure this is to try to avoid it. So many people tend to have a death grip on the graver. This is NOT needed with power assisted engraving. If you have a sore finger you are doing something wrong as you don't need to push down. If your wrist/thumb gets sore you are doing something wrong. You can literally engrave holding the graver with your forefinger and thumb but it is just hard to control. I have been engraving over 30 years and about the only that DOESN'T hurt on this badly abused body of mine is my hands...
Lighten up on the grip and let the tool do the work.

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
Not trying to start anything but if the problem has lasted this long you need to see a doctor. I am a retired RN but I still go to the doctor for problems.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is no discoloration or anything , but the thumb still is numb in places.

Is there anything I can do?.

I'd say you'll probably have to have your thumb amputated. :eek:

Seriously: Nobody asked if you are giving your graver the "death grip". (Except I noticed Rex did after I posted this) Oftentimes, until a person gets used to letting the tool do the work and basically just guide it, they will grip and hold the graver like a vise. That may be the problem.

Been there, done that. ;)

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
<The best way to cure this is to try to avoid it.>

Rex, I'd love to see your solution to the cell phone finger/thumb problem!

The average N. American now checks his/her cellphone every 7.5 minutes.

Most are within reach of their cellphone 24/7.

I do not fall into that category for several reasons...

Here of late, I don't travel as much. I do own one. It lives in/on my vehicle. (Car or bicycle - for emergency use)

I do use it while traveling. I check it a couple times a day when traveling. (and never while driving/riding)

I don't talk on a cellphone while I drive. I drive. (and try to dodge everyone else)

It does NOT mattter whether you have hands free technology. If you get a call while barreling down the freeway at 70mph, from someone telling you that your significant other, family member or close friend has just been (fill in your own worst imaginable disaster) - you CANNOT tell me that it will not affect your driving/attention.

I'm not a sheep. I flatly refuse to be available 24/7. Nor carry one welded to my hand.

Some places in my house are still sacred. The bedroom, the bathroom and the kitchen table during meals, for example.

I know how to spell, and use the English language - tho I do sometimes indulge in properly spelled street slang.

I no longer allow the devices in my personal shop or the classroom. For what should be obvious reasons. I get tired of explaining them...

If you are having a face to face conversation with me and decide to answer your phone in the middle of it, I will walk away...

If you are having a conversation with me by phone, and put me on "hold" while you answer another call - I will not be there when you get around to returning.

Brian

I've been on the computer (and forum) a lot, here of late, because I was bedridden most of the year, plus I have been writing daily. Both will soon cease, because I am finally back to work producing actual income - and it's looking like a busy winter.

I guess I will be declaring "social bankruptcy" for a while? See Portlandia's - Social Bankruptcy - YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz-7d3HZE7o

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Years ago I lost feeling in my fingers, too much use during construction work, and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. My chiropractor/kinesiologist reset my wrist and within the week my feeling returned. I avoided surgery then and have had it "reset" a couple more times since, but no surgery, and that was almost 40 years ago. Try it, it beats cutting on the wrist.

Sponsors