Hammer & chisel video demonstration by Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
:hammer::hammer: By request - a short video demonstration of old school hammer & chisel engraving. My microscope probably makes it slightly less than old school, but the techniques are still the same :thumbsup:

[video=youtube;FQkei7opfBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQkei7opfBE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam:

You already know this, but I'm really an "Old School Engraver." I have given into the air gravers and microscopes and I know they are essential to my daily routine. It is entirely possible that I would have damaged my hands over the past 51 years if I had continued as a full-time hammer and chisel engraver.

I also say that all engravers ought to know something about the hammer and chisel, they are wonderful and historical tools of the trade. A day does not go by that I don't pick up the hammer and chisel and do some work, and I would challenge anyone to show me where there is any difference or quality in the cuts.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,I enjoy your video on H&C engraving,I like engraving with the vice mounted to a pedestal so I walk around and cut the scrolls in one pass with out stopping and turning the vice no wasted motion.I had a problem engraving with H&C going in the clockwise direction the tips on my chisels kept breaking so I started cutting the clockwise scrolls from the inside out.I prefer working in the counter clockwise direction even with power assist less stress. J.J.

Sam

Staff member
Hi Sam:

You already know this, but I'm really an "Old School Engraver." I have given into the air gravers and microscopes and I know they are essential to my daily routine. It is entirely possible that I would have damaged my hands over the past 51 years if I had continued as a full-time hammer and chisel engraver.

I also say that all engravers ought to know something about the hammer and chisel, they are wonderful and historical tools of the trade. A day does not go by that I don't pick up the hammer and chisel and do some work, and I would challenge anyone to show me where there is any difference or quality in the cuts.

Yes, Mike. I've seen you engrave with hammer & chisel and you're quite good at it.

I agree that handpiece engraving does protect against wear and tear of the hands after years of use. I've seen too many engravers and diamond setters who are suffering from years of pushing gravers by hand power alone. Many have surgical scars, numb fingers, and limited use of their fingers and hands as a result.

Sam

Staff member
Wow, I am impressed of your technique of vise rotation :rolleyes:

Useful tutorial and again proves that skill is in the artist's hand and not in his tools or machines.

A very inspiring video Sаm
Thank you for sharing with all us :clapping:

Evgeni: I use whatever body part I can to rotate the vise!
Actually, years ago I also used a kick wheel very effectively. I could use hammer & chisel sitting down while turning the vise with my feet. It requires a vise mounted on a shaft which turns on a bearing on the floor. I have such a vise and maybe one day I'll set it back up.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm going to have to show this to the ever-indulgent wife. I know she'll laugh her head off.
Let's just say I look like a master engraver - I have the same shirt, very similar hands and arms, and the same... torso.

I've watched Mike Dubber do H&C and I notice that your taps are a bit more forceful than I remember his being. As I recall he uses the style where he holds the hammer lightly and sort of twitches his pinky to swing it. Just more of how the 'how' doesn't matter near so much as the results.

Thanks for making this video! I'm betting you did it for a couple of reasons:
1) to show how you can, in fact, get into quite serious engraving quite cheaply.
2) to show off your new Italian vise. ;)

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for making this video! I'm betting you did it for a couple of reasons:
1) to show how you can, in fact, get into quite serious engraving quite cheaply.
2) to show off your new Italian vise. ;)

1.) yes
2.) No, I've had the vise for 30 years :)

mrthe

Thank you Sam to take your time to make this fantastic video very helpfull!!!
The heel that you have on your graver is 25 degree? i have understand well?

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Now, that's something! I was, at first, supprised at the length of your chisel, but it proved suffitient in the end. Simply turns out that it is mine who are a little on the long side. Also glad to hear about the heelangle. I have been wondering about how steep I could make it; now i know.

Vielen dank.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
Will this video be available in the tutorial section or elsewhere on the site. I just made my daughter in law a hammer, graver handle, and some tips and I'd like to have her view it. It was the 1st time in 10 years our whole family got together and too many other activities took precedence. I only had enough time to go thru some beginner basics while she was here.

Sam

Staff member
Thank you Sam to take your time to make this fantastic video very helpfull!!!

Around 20-25° Paolo. I guess I should try to measure it. I sharpened my tools this way for many years without knowing the exact angles. :confused:

Sam

Staff member
Sam,
Will this video be available in the tutorial section or elsewhere on the site. I just made my daughter in law a hammer, graver handle, and some tips and I'd like to have her view it. It was the 1st time in 10 years our whole family got together and too many other activities took precedence. I only had enough time to go thru some beginner basics while she was here.

Yes, I put it in the Tips Archive for future reference.

mrthe

Around 20-25° Paolo. I guess I should try to measure it. I sharpened my tools this way for many years without knowing the exact angles. :confused:
Don't worry is ok is just to have a reference thank you!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paolo,
Isn't this method just like a Lindsay template? The angle depends on how far the tip extends past the square rest. To get an exact degree, you would have to place the graver in the exact same spot every time.

mrthe

Dave i was just unsure about what Sam say in the video cause my very little english ;)
In the Lindsay System all depends about how much the graver extends from the fixture and how much your stone/sharpening surface is high

Status
Not open for further replies.