Hammer & chisel video demonstration by Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It is not the Lindsay System it is the McKenzie System- Fred

Yep. Lynton taught me to use a sharpening guide. It's a 4" piece of 3/32" Momax Cobalt and I rounded the corners on it so the graver can slide easily left and right when sharpening. The closer you are to the guide the higher the heel angle. I sharpened this way until I started teaching classes at GRS in 1998 and had to learn to use the Dual Angle fixture which was in my classroom :)

Sam

Staff member
Thank you Sam to take your time to make this fantastic video very helpfull!!!
The heel that you have on your graver is 25 degree? i have understand well?

Paolo: I measured my chisel and it's very close to a 40° face and 25° heel. So for anyone wanting to sharpen a square chisel to similar geometry, set your sharpening fixture to those angles and you should be good to go.

:hammer: :happyvise:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is not the Lindsay System it is the McKenzie System- Fred

Yep. Lynton taught me to use a sharpening guide. It's a 4" piece of 3/32" Momax Cobalt and I rounded the corners on it so the graver can slide easily left and right when sharpening.
Lynton had a close association with the NMLRA. Several of the old engravers, who demonstrate engraving on the back porch of Gunmaker's Hall every year, sharpen using 2 different sized drill bits. One for the face and one for the heel. It's entirely possible that they learned the method from him as there were no formal classes available when they learned H&C. I used to know which drill sizes they used but have since forgotten.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I have a setup that I copied from Lynton when I lived in AZ for a while and it uses round drill rods also. (not bits, rods)

Brian

Just now went looking for it. No joy... I think we eventually bedded the rod in shellac or maybe silicone to make it stay put? If I find it, I'll post an image. (don't hold yer breath waitin' - got other stuff to be doin')

Last edited:

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I have at the same scope, could you tell me, where can I find an adapter for the video camera, please? I have at the same video camera, too. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Sam

Staff member
Sam,

I have at the same scope, could you tell me, where can I find an adapter for the video camera, please? I have at the same video camera, too. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

From Zeiss:
Zeiss: 456006-0000-000 Connecting tube 60mm f/Photoeyepiece
Zeiss: 426126-0000-000 Digital Camera Adapter d30 M37/52x0.75

Sam

Staff member
McKenzie taught me the method of sharpening I show in the video (except for doing the face on the EZE Lap diamond...that was my doing), but he was heeling his gravers by resting the graver heel side up against the vise at the correct angle and sharpening the flats with a small ceramic hand stone under the microscope. I've done it that way too and it takes a lot of practice to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors