Abrasive Belt Grinder Paranoia

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I touched on the subject before, I think, but it won't hurt to remind the fraternity of safety issues on abrasive belt grinders. Just a few minutes ago, I looked as some photos of commercially available machines. A lack of certain guards, or the non possibility of putting additional one's in place, would deter me from buying that one. One time I snapped a 2" x 132" belt on a 5hp machine without any guards, @ 3,450 rpm. The belt just fell down, but another I know of wasn't so lucky. The belt whipped around, in such a fashion as to encircle the user's arm, almost breaking it. As he was using a contact wheel, there could've been a simple guard in place that would've prevented the encircling. In the case of most, not all, grinders, the guards seem adequate, and with the 4" x 36" and the 6" x 48" machines, they generally are not going that fast to cause real damage. However, they can hit hard enough. Don't become paranoid everytime you turn your machine on, but take a look at the sites of the manufacturers and see where guards can be installed. If you have to do so yourself, so be it. You just need a guard to arrest the wraparound tendency of the belt, should it break. I plan to get, probably, a used grinder of some kind, and this will be my first order of the day. Been there, and done that, and it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
On the safety side get cut by the edge of the belt will test your vocabulary of swear words

Happened once... now I track the belt so that it doesn't overhang the side of the platen Im working on. ...cant do that in every operation but for some you can. That hurt...

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
I can't think of any time I would need a 5 hp belt grinder. Mine are all 1 hp and have all the power I need. That's unsafe in itself. I would rather have a machine that I could stall than one that could rip my arm off.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andy,

I am glad to see you again, welcome back. Do you have something new to show us, please?

Thank you for advance

Vlad, Canada, Maple, ON

Latest posts

Sponsors