Background punches question... proper use?

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Hello all,

I am practicing and have a question for the group on what is the "proper" way to use background punches.

I have a set of the NGraver punches and while punching the background I was using a No. 2 sized punch or whatever the medium size is and as I am sure you are all well aware, there comes a point when the punch is too big to go into the "V" in the scroll work. So I used the smallest punch on those places and also where the closely spaced punches didn't quite cover.

Question: Is it desirable to do what I did or is it an engraving faux pas?

How do you all do it?

Thanks,

Bruce

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bruce,The #1 punch would be the right one for the tight V in the scroll,when I use the dot punch for background I work away from myself so I can see were to place the next dot you don't want the dots to over lap. J.J.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for asking this question. I haven't gotten to back ground embellishment yet, still trying to improve my line cutting. I just assumed that you used the smallest punch that fit the tightest spot and they were all the same size. It just goes to show how unobservant I am. I will be looking at dot punch backgrounds a lot closer now. Thanks for the responses guys.
Cheers
Don

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the clarification everyone!

I thought that made sense but I wasn't sure.

Thanks,

Bruce

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Also, to make it easier to see what's where, I grind the tip to make it easier to see placement. You don't go crazy with. Just a little off the tip with your 1200 grit lap.

Latest posts

Sponsors