Graver starts to leave mark before actual cut

jdynan

I'm new to engraving but getting better. I have had a constant problem where I place the graver where I want the line to start and it almost always leaves a starting trail of a mark. For example a 90 deg. I have the releif at 10 deg and a small heel at 17.5 degs. I try raising my wrist and plunge in at first then lower but that does not help. Is it my inexperience or do I need to change something on the graver angle. Thanks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
since you're aware of the degrees in your tools, that means you have a sharpening system. how long the relief and heel are can cause a problem. . what face angle are you using ? probably a quicker way to do testing-- buy a 5 pack of hss gravers. make each graver different, geometry wise. you may answer your own question that way.
if you only have 1 square graver, it simply will take more time to conduct the test. there's many different angles from which to choose. the choice will be dictated by the material you're working on. a steeper face , for example, is needed for tougher mtls. such makes for a stronger point.
when you begin lowering your graver, perhaps a little less would be better. most complex problems (seemingly) have very simple solutions.all the crap of geometry can confuse one. by actual testing, stick with what works, avoid that which doesn't.

Last edited:

jdynan

Thanks TOS, I tried something an engraver friend of my suggested I try (for something else), the Lindsay sharping graver angles. I did a 120 deg tonight and it started where I wanted the line to start and cut corners without the heel dragging. I won't say that this is the cure but more time will tell. Thanks for taking the time and your answer was correct, I need more practice.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Regardless of what you do you are going to have to do what Sam said a lot of the time. A heal will almost always drag to some extent. Extremely short ones will not be so noticeable but to be certain - back cut.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's just a part of it. If it matters to the piece then take Sam's advice. Lettering is one place you need to have particular care. Backcutting is the way in that case. And you almost always need to back cut anyway so it only makes sense to start a little farther along with your line.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Also, when sharpening your gravers, test them on your thumbnail.
If it doesn't bite in immediately, it's not sharp enough.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In shading use this knowledge to your benefit and move from the hairline scratch to a deeper cut. The shading will look more natural. For precise lines start further in snd then back cut to the exact point you need the pop you but and it will be precise.

jdynan

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wish I knew more but at this stage of my learning curve I know enough to ask for help. I have all GRS equipment, trained by their instructors and using the standard graver angles. I mentioned a former classmate, who does firearms, uses the Lindsay graver angles and suggested I try them. Well I did and after creating a 90, 120 and 80 deg gravers the slight drag at the beginning of a line stopped. The tight curves that was causing a heel drag (or poor technique on my part) also stopped. Too soon to tell but I have restored some level of self-confidence I was rapidly losing.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I were you, I'd pick one graver angle and master it. Jumping back and forth could slow your graver control development. While you are learning I'd find one that seems to work and use it. That way changes, good or bad, are you. Once you master that one, add another. Take it slowly. Everyone wants to use it all right out of the gate, but limiting variables has benefits.

jdynan

Thanks for the advice, Gerry. I'll do that. Thanks for the allowing the film crew to do the video of you, I liked your story about how you found engraving and how you have risen to being such a talent in hand gun engraving.

Sponsors