Want to start cheap

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yup, "we" probably tend to think that way. And here's why:

I took no classes or workshops for the first 15 years...

There were none. (At least none that I knew of)

Knowing what I know now, would I have figured out a way to take some had they been available? (1969 to 2014 = 45 years)

DEFINITELY!

I've taken classes EVERY year since the late '80s. (1986 was spent in hospitals)

Not always in engraving, because I also do all kinds of metalsmithing and stonesetting too.

I intend to keep doing this as long as I can work.

I buy books. Every month, sometimes every week. I have a huge library by now and I USE it!

I buy and watch all the videos, I search youtube, I privately email the people who know or have done what I want to do.

Constantly.

Learning never ends, by whatever means available. Nowadays you have a HUGE advantage in the variety of learning methods!

I often learn the most from simply watching my own students and apprentices learn!

So, yeah... find and take hands on classes or workshops or even Internet classes. Do whatever it takes. You won't regret it if you are serious.

You will save yourself more time and money than you can believe possible!

Just by buying the correct tools to begin with - you can save more than the cost of a Basic class where you can try them all out personally, side by side.

Brian

And, you just may find that hand engraving is not for you - (there is nothing wrong with that) which can save you wasting more time and money.

BINGO... Thanks Brian and as Brian can attest I love tools you can buy many many many tools (i have issues need to catch up to Brian) and not know what to do with them or how to use them correctly, until you get proper instruction.

I have been doing this for less than 2 years, but I would not be where I am today without the proper one on one instruction that I have received, and my relentless determination to learn and hundreds of hours of reading and practice.

Start off with drawing like others have suggested, save your money look in the classifieds and buy one tool time, no rush what's the hurry? Now if you want to speed up that learning process then take a class and by good tools.

In today's society we seem to treat our lives like cable tv we want all the channels and on demand and we want it now, no commercials. Engraving is the complete opposite, you don't get all the tools unless you have a good amount of disposable cash, and results are not seen for years.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Ya there class is $800 bucks I think I would rather spend that on tools instead other wise Im spending 800 and coming home and still have no tools lol

I'm taking the Basic class next week and I'm waiting until after to buy. I figure the $800 is well spent since it is a lot less expensive than buying $4-6k and finding out I suck at it and I don't know what the heck to do with what I bought.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think this quote from judo master Kyuzo Mifune is appropriate here. " "Do not place hope in finding a secret technique, polish the mind through ceaseless training; that is the key to effective techniques." In the case of engraving, I would add "or tools" after "secret techniques."

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Brian's quote of learning from his students is pretty much my philosophy.
I "try" to put myself in the third person (armchair quarterback), when trying to figure things out. In other words, I try to look at my work as if someone else is or has done it.
I am my WORST critic !
Being a tattoo artist, engraving should come easily to you, IF ! ,you get off on the right foot.
Take a class and learn the fundamentals !

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Hey, Excalibur, come by my studio and I'd be more than happy to show you my setup. I'm right here in Hutchinson and I believe you may be talking about me as I'm the only engraver in town.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Once again, as atexascowboy2011 said " ...Take a class and learn the fundamentals !", please. You will never regret, believe me.
Thank you for your understanding in advance

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
Like I said, I'd be more than happy to show you my set-up and give you a few pointers. I think I gave you a card, just give me a call and we'll set up a time. Unfortunately, when I talked with you at the fair I was preoccupied with security on the professional art. Sorry if I came off the wrong way.

Ok so I got a grs hand piece from a member on here and he told me he also had a gravermax so I got it from him as well so what kind of compressor are you guys using I don't think my wife is going to let me run my big snap on at night when she is sleeping lol

leo

Elite Cafe Member
Get a California tools compressor a silent one usually between 199 and 250 with delivery from Amazon or eBay or your local Home Depot has them on sale some times check there web site out and how big more than 4 gal would be perfect that way your wife won't kill you when she sleeps and here the clicking noise

Latest posts

Sponsors