Want to start cheap

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There's a sticky thread in the Tips Archive that will help you.
And welcome to the Cafe.

That would be really cool I know there is a guy here in town but not sure if he would let me he kinda seems like he doesn't like the idea of some one else learning how to do it

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep - GRS is the last free exit on I-35 (coming down from the North) or just off the end of the line coming up your way.

If you're up for a trip to KC I have both GRS and Lindsay equipment you could try out. My space is small and cramped but I do have toys.

I do make it up to Kc on occasions I was just there last week to watch the Yankees spank the royals (I'm a Yankees fan) and I would love to take you up on that offer next time I'm up there

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
starting cheap comes with a price called "the learning curve". starting in pricely fashion -- a much shorter learning curve. the choice is yours to make. jumping right in with all the magic toys is no guarantee you'll end up enjoying the pursuit of this art. even with the shorter learning curve, yer really not off the hook; you still have to master many disciplines to become proficient.i wish you luck, and i hope you choose to learn this fascinating art.

I found a grs hand piece it's the model before the 901 but I think it should be a good place to start now I need a compressor. And can some one explain to me why I can't use my $8000 snap on compressor lol

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yes you can, but the handpiece is just half of a working unit, you still need a graversmith for example, I just got one, I also own a Lindsay classic, the graversmith is priced right and can do anything the at can do, bpe (might be spelled wrong) sells a add on to make the graversmith capable of running up to 5 handpieces of the one graversmith opening.

But you have received great advice you can as simple as hammer and chisel but the learning curve is years, not that using the handpiece is not years but it takes some years off the learning curve. YMMV

you hear a repeating word "years" I hope you're in it for the long haul, before you buy anything head over to GRS and learn what need don't buy in the blind.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Because the handpiece needs pulses of air, not a continuous stream of air. The machines (Gravermax, Gravermach, Graversmith, etc.) are what control the air stream to make the handpiece piston move correctly.