jumping from nib to burin

santos

Elite Cafe Member
jumping from nib to burin....

Here's a plate of brass, ( 10X15 cm) that I engraved for a friend of mine( for his grand-parents' grave) .The layout was writen with an oblique pen holder . Since Doc Vitolo's thread , you know I fell in love with calligraphy and then I try to engrave my own writing following master Sam's instructions. His DVD on lettering is one of my favourites .
You can see many errors remaining , but I will practice both hand writing and lettering ;)

i hope you will enjoy it !

Jean

Attachments

• lettrage.jpg
    lettrage.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 352

lines

That's really great I don't see any errors. Where did those nib holders come from I might want one?

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Penmanship, of this sort, with the calligraphic style and engraving the same, have to be two of the most difficult art forms to perform. Every line must widen and narrow to perfection. Any deviation leaps out, and I see none of that in your photos. Proportion and spacing. . .the same. Excellent work! As for the oblique pen holders, they're available on the Internet, I forget exactly where, and some are on my list of things to get. Nibs are a treatise in themselves. A steady hand, nicotine and caffeine free, are the order of the day. I always like to see this stuff, as there aren't many out there with such gifts.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've tried that, a bit. but could never get the lettering to work on the metal. How were you able to write on the metal so you could then engrave it? I'm certain that my lettering would be much better if I could figure that out.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Google in "calligraphic penmen", or "Dr. Vitolo", or "oblique penholders", and things similar. You should come up with a pile of sites, and links, that'll get into the pens, holders, nibs, and inks. I did this a few months ago, and it took me a while to go through the stuff. There are handmade penholders, and an exhaustive explanation of the whole deal, if you go through everything like I did. Still gotta get some pens, though, and look for some of those nibs that are hard to find. . .the good one's seem to gone the way of the candlestick telephones. Looks like it might be fun, though.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dr. Joe had a thread on this site that is one of the most viewed of all the threads ever on here. Do a search and you will find it. http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?9824-Engraver-s-Script-Instruction&highlight=penmanship He goes through every letter of the script alphabet one by one. One of my favorites of all time. His web site is a great source and he provided his complete manual in PDF format to copy and print out. Wish I could practice my lettering more on both paper and engraving. Fred

James

Wonderfull to see a real calligrapher translate the same artistry to metal. I have been focusing on lettering and monograms for a year now in my practice, but still not ready for prime time ( at least to my eye thru the microscope!) It looks like that is all hand push, which is outstanding. Please post any more lettering and calligraphy you do.

Latest posts

Sponsors