A piece of American History down under

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
OK, Richard,
Let me rephrase my statement.
Yes, anyone can do what you have done, BUT are unwilling to commit the time, energy or brain cells to figure out how to accomplish this amazing undertaking.
What you are accomplishing is akin to those involved with the antiquities who have taken corroded cannons from sunken ships and restored them for public viewing.

THIS HAS BEEN AN AMAZING PROJECT ! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Charlie

Elite Cafe Member
Richard,
I read this thread from the beginning.
I know the time, effort, and passion, you put in this project.
I am impressed :)

Now that you are engraving, I will just stand by and watch :)
By the way,
I loved that deep relief on the Butt Plate :)

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for your kind words Charlie, I have seen your work and coming from you they mean a lot to me, :tiphat:
regarding the but plate it could have been done much better, but I think I am improving as I go along, I have only just started on the receiver, not quite happy with the design so I am re-drawing it, again!! :(

gleaker, it has been more than a year since I started, it's more of a week end at the time project( when possible) :)

Richard.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Ok, I only just finished cutting this last weekend, thanks for asking Timothy.

Richard.

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 167

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jeff, Vlad, and all the likes, I have big plans for this, I hope I can pull it off, hopefully I will have some more photos this weekend, stay tuned.

Richard.

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like a great job so far. For the Pitting,
I read somewhere that restorers use soft steel wire, like you find in the twist ties fr bread packages and such, to fill the pitting as you would an inlay then use a burnishing tool to blend it.
I never tried it myself, but it sounds like it should work.

I can't wait to see it finished.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks J, and thanks for the tip on filling the pitting, it will come in handy for the future, but most of the pitting left on it now I will leave it as being part of its history/character, :)

Richard.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Any critque welcomed

Thanks Timothy, here are a couple of pics of what I have done this week, not finished yet, I had to give up today as I was starting/continuing?:rolleyes: to stuff up, :( once again I painted myself into a corner with the shading in places but I think I am improving a little bit, what do you all think?,

Richard.

Attachments

• IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1794.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Timothy, here are a couple of pics of what I have done this week, not finished yet, I had to give up today as I was starting/continuing?:rolleyes: to stuff up, :( once again I painted myself into a corner with the shading in places but I think I am improving a little bit, what do you all think?,

Richard.

RICHARD
Only saw this from the rust to almost finality now.
Wow Oh Wow !!
This labour of true love really shows.
I can only echo the sentiments of the more experienced Guys.
I think that by U restoring this rusted iron to its original beauty and now giving life to it and then embellishing it with Your own designs and efforts, Man O Man, this is an superb achievement.
Your latest work on this side plate ( is it ?) shows much progression both in terms of Design and Cutting as well - from little I know !!!
"Tis loads better than what I as an armchair observer would ever accomplish.
Hope U have more time now to spend on this ol' beauty
GREAT GUNS !!! - would sum this endeavour
Keep the pics rolling and the Graver sharp !!!
aRM

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you aRM, you are always very supportive of my work, is good to hear that someone sees some improvement even if it is minor, you already excel with your knives, I'm sure you will achieve great results with your engraving ;), hopefully I should get a lot done over the holidays, stay tuned,

Richard.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Consider inlaying a sterling oval in the stock stating when and by whom your rifle was restored along with the dates. A hundred or more years from now your children's children will have some provenence.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
That's a great idea Jeff, gracias hermano, I was thinking of inlaying a made up nickel silver Texas Rangers badge, but that's much better, :clapping::tiphat:

Richard

Latest posts

Sponsors