Gravermeister "System 3" ?? for beginner

1982fxr

I found this for about $600. Are there others at this price point?

I have no experience but would like to try Harley parts and maybe also guns. price point is attractive:)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Gravermeister and Sytem 3 are two different systems. You might mean the GRS System 3. The Gravermeister is a pressure-vaccuum system that generates its own air pulses. It's noisy and hot but it's capable of beautiful engraving in the hands of an experienced engraver.

The System 3 is a self-oscillating handpiece. It's also capable of producing good work.

My advice is to put that money toward a higher end system if you're really serious about engraving.

1982fxr

oops, meant to include a link, but I mean the GRS System 3. $600 is about all I can come up with. It doesn't sound like you are too hot on the System 3 for a beginner...?

Is there anything else out there in that price range? thanks..Lee

1982fxr

aside from budget it's hard to convince myself to spend a ton on a set-up if I might suck at it. I would not expect to be good without tons of practice, but it's kinda scary knowing I could spend a bunch of money and never get beyond being horrific.

I wish there was somewhere to try running one of these things first but that doesn't seem likely...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I wish there was somewhere to try running one of these things first but that doesn't seem likely...

That's your best bet. How about telling everyone your name and location and maybe someone can help you.

1982fxr

My name is Lee and I live in Phoenix (Tempe). I work 3-11pm Mon-Thurs and can be free any times other than those with a day or 2 notice. I can travel about 30-40 miles from Tempe. My vehicle isn't the best...

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suggest posting your location. Many engravers will gladly allow you to "try" out your hand at the equipment they have.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For an inexpensive setup the gravermate or Lindsay artisan are the way to go.
used is ok on both of these usually.
Gravermax used, is good also. I have one that any way I figure it must have 20,000 hours on it .
And the newer ones are great also, but if you are trying to save money, I would by any regular Max, mach, or Lindsay used, before I would buy a system 3.
I cant comment on the enset, because I have never used one.

Last edited:
I had System 3 ,tried to engrave with it , with poor results.Sold it and bought an Lindsay Classic I´m very happy with.I suppose the GRS Graversmith is also a good alternative

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Lee,
Contact Brian Bridges and see if he can give you a lesson or two.
He is a master engraver in tempe.
He will teach you Hammer and Chisel, and has powered units also.
See if you like it and then buy a GRS or Lindsay product to move forward.
Here is a link to a thread I did on beginning engraving years ago. Brian's information is in there along with other interesting stuff.
this might help you out a little.
Link:
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2365

Do you have a 82FXR?
I am in South Scottsdale PM me.
AirAmp

Last edited:

Sponsors