Vintage Style Rollup Pencil Case

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was looking on Amazon for some sort of tool roll to keep my various mechanical pencils in and found this. So, I ordered one. $2.15 and FREE shipping... I can't go too wrong. It must come from overseas as it has a long shipping time. I thought someone else may be interested.

Link: Vintage Style Rollup Pencil Case

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
That looks pretty good and at a good price point...I currently use a tupperware bowl with press on lid...yep I know kinda hokie...

Donny

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
A nice item. I have a couple of canvas rolls, new, with waxed leather tie straps that either the American or British militaries (maybe both) used to issue. A resurgence of the arts & crafts has been underway for some time, but slowly. People just don't want production crap, especially Chinese. I'm convinced that if someone could obtain thin leather, properly tanned, with a decent heavy-duty sewing machine they could turn these items out and make a decent profit, along with other items if they sit down and think about it. I'm working in getting a small lathe from a friend, at about 1,000#, for use in my dungeon cellar to turn out some engraving trinkets that may be of interest. My other lathe at over 3,000# won't make the steps. More on that later. But, there's a lot out there that someone could start making. Maybe we could bring some of the good ol' days back?

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Doc, I have ordered three of them :), I usually take some tools to work and I think needle files would fit just fine in them, and I think the wife has ideas as well :rolleyes:,

Richard.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I don't know how they do it,the Chinese. They buy the raw materials, make it and ship it half way around the world for
$2.15. It costs me $1.00 to mail a letter that could be going to the person across town or across the street.
Cheers
Don

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know how they do it,the Chinese. They buy the raw materials, make it and ship it half way around the world for
$2.15. It costs me $1.00 to mail a letter that could be going to the person across town or across the street.
Cheers
Don

I don't know either. But, for that cheap of price I figure I can't go too wrong. It won't be given a lot of severe service anyway in my case. I have 5 mechanical pencils loaded with various grits of Superstones and a few different diameter and hardness combos for drawing pencils, etc. Rather than having them laying around rolling all over heck, I figured I'd give this a try.

If someone wanted to produce these in real leather and figured they could get it to me for about $20.00 total... I'd do that. But, I haven't found such an item. If it ends up being a POS... I didn't invest a fortune in it. Maybe it's called "PU Leather" for a reason. :)

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I have a friend of mine who is a quite talented hide pounder. Another does period type knives and sheaths. The current problem has been going on for a while, and that is getting quality hides. We're being sold out (no kidding!) and most of the hides are going overseas. Guess where? I hear Canada is a good place to get hides, but our fascist government won't allow them into this country due to the chemicals used for tanning. Only if you can get hides at the right thickness, and the right price, could you make a quantity. Here in Pennsylvania, somewhere that I can't remember, is a large hide supplier where one of my friends gets his material. Wouldn't hurt to Google it in, and I think you can make a good buy if conditions are right. My one friend sells stuff to the cowboy action fraternity, and has work. Maybe it's worth a shot?

Larry Simmons

There is no way anybody in US can make that for $2.15, that looks like about 1 sq.ft. of leather. I cannot buy it for$2.15 a sq. ft. If its any good and clean it will cost about $5.50 to $10.00 sq. ft. then you have thread, dye, oil, and clear finish, pattern and time. You have to buy at lease a side of leather about 20 to 25 sq. ft.and not all of it will be able to be used because of holes,slits,folds,etc. If it was made for $20.00, it would have to be plus shipping. Larry

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you read the description on the sellers site, it says that the case is PU Leather. (Whatever the heck PU stands for) A washable CANVAS material. It is apparently a "manufactured" leather-like product. Still, it didn't stop me from getting one at that price!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My pencil case arrived here in North Dakota today! :) I can say it's everything I thought it would be and more. I figured it would be a flimsy but useable borderline POS for the little money involved. Much to my surprise... it is a nice case and my mechanical pencils don't have to stand in a coffee cup any longer. :)

mrthe

Good the mine is coming too i have buyed the $1 in ebay but in black

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Another great use for a "purse"...!

The other being to buy a large one in a second hand store. (No, not to put the little purse you just bought on Ebay into)

If you're a guy, take a friend or two along. Let 'em wonder why you are buying a purse... have a little fun with 'em. :)

Make sure you pick one that's flexible leather, zips shut and ain't too stinky to stand bein' around. Size may matter too? And be sure to match your shoes!

When ya get home, you have the makin's for an economical sand bag to support those really strange shaped engraving jobs. (or even your elbow)

I think that perhaps you can figure out the rest? Zippers don't don't have too many moving parts do they?

Brian

Tip: Put the sand in a trashbag/garbage bag before putting it in the purse. Zippers (or even Velcro) ARE complicated mechanisms and sand interferes with proper function.

Last edited:

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos,

It is no way to make money if they cell for $1, but if they cell stolen things .... ? May be?

Latest posts

Sponsors