Machinist question...about vises...

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Can anyone tell me how much money in materials would a good 45lb vise cost to make? Just the vise itself not all the tools and mill and the like... just the steel and bearings and all? :happyvise:

Donny

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Since I'm a Journeyman and have done such things before, I may be able to help. . .sort of. Your question is vague, and so will be the answers. If you got a scrapyard near by, make up a sketch and see what's laying around. You should know the grade of steel you'll need, which isn't always apparent from the rusted chunks laying around. Look for steel that is heat treatable, and a vise will require treatment to impart qualities to the steel that otherwise aren't there to promote long life as to wear and nonbreakage. Price? We've paid 25-30 cents/pound, but those pieces were 11" in diameter, and 9' long. I think you should have just a few dollars in what you need. Bearings? Buy new one's. Google in some bearing mfg.'s to learn what types would be a right choice. Bearings, Inc. would be one site, and Fafnir, SKF, and others may offer help. there's a lot out there, so spend some time. A final price for your materials can't be easily arrived at, especially the bearings which should be new. Steel, just several dollars, I'd think, somewhere around the $25 - $50 mark, depending upon what you get. Machining costs, I won't even get into. You question's not an easy one. Look around.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Back again, and, as an aside, the 'Italian vise' mentioned in some recent posts looks worthy of making. You need not go into cast iron, as they have. The more weight, the better. In that design of vise, I noticed that the guide rod bushings and the left & right handed nuts were replaceable, or could easily be made with that feature. If making left & right handed nuts, allow the size to be big enough to use a boring bar, as you DO NOT want to buy acme taps as the price is horrendous. . .I know, as I've broken some, as they seem to be a little too hard. If your Machinist thinks things out, there should be not a problem in making a superb vise with replaceable wear parts. You can design for replaceable jaw inserts, custom made to hold a variety of items. Don't be afraid to go for it!

Latest posts

Sponsors