Newbie needs help in Middle GA

crdowning

I'm interested in learning how to engrave, specifically gun engraving. However, before I begin buying all of the equipment, I was hoping to have a chance to try my hand at engraving. Because my medications have given me slightly shaky hands, I’m not certain if I would even be able to control the tools and I would like to “try outâ€￾ someone else’s equipment for 20 minutes or so. If anyone is in or near the Middle Georgia area that would be willing to let me try my hand on their equipment, and allow me to ask questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
20 minutes is not nearly enough time. Shakey hands or not. You need more time. I'd suggest taking a 3 day to week long class. Either private or with GRS or Ray Cover.

crdowning

20 minutes is not nearly enough time. Shakey hands or not. You need more time. I'd suggest taking a 3 day to week long class. Either private or with GRS or Ray Cover.

The 20 minutes would be to see if it is even possible for me to be able to engrave. If I can, then I would agree that a week long course would be the next step. Starting with a week long course would be a waste of time and money if I found out on day one that I was not able to control the equipment.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It took me almost a day to learn to cut a straight line. Don't write it off to fast.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
I really don't know if your condition would prevent you from being a good engraver. Especially since I don't know extent of your condition.

Me, I am 60 years old, and a watchmaker. Very steady hands are needed. But there are some tricks to steady things at times. I find with engraving (Am a amatuer hobbyist, I only do hand push and mostly lettering) steadiness is not a problem or issue. But where steadiness is needed is when drawing directly on the metal with a pencil. It is not like drawing or writing on paper since the metal does not give, like paper.

So, if you can draw and write on metal to your satisfaction, I think you can engrave. Try and practice that. I you can't, then you can use transfers. But for me, using transfers all the time would take alot of the fun out of engraving for me.

You are right about trying things out first before spending money on lessons, tools etc. But do allow more like two or three hours with a engraver. Engravers are good people, and most all would do two or three hours with you for free. But if it was me, I would give them something, a gift or money, for their time and knowledge.

Speaking of hand steadiness, which may not apply to you, is that I find after gardening work, home repairs etc, my hand steadiness is greatly affected negatively. Would happen even when I was 40 years old. Have read this is not unusual for a watchmaker. Also, doing watch repair work regularly improves your hand steadiness. Bracing your hands and arms greatly improves steadiness. Also holding your breath.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, I'm up in Dallas probably 100 miles from you, maybe less. If you're gonna be up this way you can try mine out some weekend.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One thing to learn about engraving is how to hold your hands to control any shakiness. If your hands are not excessively shaky it may not bother you to engrave much at all. I was on some real strong medication for awhile but I was still able to engrave just fine. Dido about the 20 minutes. 20 minutes is not near enough time. 4 or five days maybe?

crdowning

I'd like to specially thank Tim Wells for opening his shop to me and giving me his time, showing me the ins and outs, teaching me how to avoid some rookie mistakes and all-and-all getting me hooked on engraving.