Question: Burrs

delder

Elite Cafe Member
Just picked up some burrs for background removal. (Diatech) So far so good. I'm using them in a high speed foredom hand piece(35K rpm ) While ordering them , I noticed that some come with 6,12,19 etc. cutters. The burrs I bought are only 6, less expensive but, do more cutters equate to smoother cutting ? I bought round. Do any of you have a preference as to what shape?

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Hi;
I was just on Diatech's website. What is the diameter of the burrs and the shaft? . ie. what does 1/4 or 1/2 tell you? I haven't bought any burrs as yet, I have a high speed hand piece but haven't used it yet. Thanks for any info.
Cheers
Don

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
dakota doc got the right idea.high rpm's are better than low. but that depends on the tool. the nsk and others do well at the lower speeds. the reason is-- the bearings and innards of most low rpm tools have too much "slop" in them to do accurate work. i no longer have a foredome flex shaft tool. none of the handpieces run true enough to suit me. the high rpm tools are more stable in use. they cut at a slower rate. this is good, as a mistake in cutting is usually less of a problem to repair.
as to the burr, more flutes assure a smother cut.less flutes, a more rough cut.
what really counts here is whatever tool you have, you will have to learn how it handles by practicing on junk metal till you get used to the tool and how it works.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I guess it depends if you only using for background removal or for other stuff too like setting for example.
Doubt I'd fancy drilling at 300k :D
But then again I've never tried..
I have a foredom micromotor & like it, no idea what I'd buy next time though if I need to.

Most burrs are recommended to run at certain speeds.. most optimal speeds vary around 15-50k.
Some dental burrs can run max 100k so I don't know why you need triple that or more :confused:

Last edited:

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
High speed better, off course, however you have to control your motion during the cutting. It is a very easy to burn out the burrs. When you are using high speed - cutting process filling like cutting butter. Only do not rush and result will be amazing, just try...

Latest posts

Sponsors