Estate Jewelry Appraisal and where to sell

saa

I've been out a while. Long story short... two coronary heart attacks, CPR and defib - and God decided to let me stick around a while longer. I thank him!

I have a piece of jewelry from my grandmother: a very wide wedding band, thick heavy gold, a small diamond, and four very small rubys (the rubys have excellent color, so I'm told).

This piece is flat, not a ring any longer. She couldn't get it on her finger years ago and wore it as a necklace.

It must be 40 to 60 (maybe more) years old.

I know some of you are remowned jewelers, so I wanted to ask - where do I take this to get a fair price for it with the gems and all? I know nothing about jewelry, except that the gold is of a good quality, the diamond still has the point at the bottom, not clipped, and the rubys were said to be very nice, but small.

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction for getting this piece reviewed.
saa.

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
your question is pretty suggestive. the only advise I can give is that you will always do better selling it yourself, than you will will someone who will have to try and re sell it in a retail market. ask around locally to find who is reputable in your area.... I think that is about as good as anyone can do with such a open ended question.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my area is crawling with "jewelty joints" that will give one "top dollar" for such. i had to do the same when my mother passed. i initially went to just such a place. took me an xtra 3--4 years, but sold all her jewelry at good prices. the "top dollar joints" will give you instant cash, but what you save in time, you lose in money.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
SAA
From what you have told us I can almost assuredly tell you that your best bet would be to find out who pays the most for scrap gold in your town and pay them a visit. To a jeweler, the small rubies and diamond won't make any difference in the final price. You might possibly get a few dollars more for the diamond but if it's less than 2mm it's doubtable. A refiner would pay more but the cost to refine is around $75 and with shipping you would make almost nothing. Remember if it's 14k then it's only 58.5 percent gold. If you have a 4 gram ring, there would be 2.3 grams of pure. 1275 per ounce a jeweler will offer you between 50 and 75% of that. Or a payout of $47 to $70. Payout varies from jeweler to jeweler so shop around. If you have a scale you can do the math and figure out about what you have.
Also, 18k is 75% gold and 10k is 41.7%.

Latest posts

Sponsors