Question: Where to buy guns at dealer prices

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm trying to find wholesalers where I can buy guns at dealer prices but so far have run into problems because I don't (can't) buy in volume. I'm only buying for clients that want a specific gun and the places I have checked with want information I consider intrusive and they require a storefront and multiple purchases. Any help from you guys and gals would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
LM Burney, Camfor, Hill Country Firearms, RSR Group... Cheaper Than Dirt , Buds Guns and Walmart are often cheaper.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'd let the client buy their own gun of desire. that way you aint the bad guy. when i held my ffl,many asked me to buy this or that for them. i never did that. i just had the ffl to ship, receive, and have the parts in my shop to work on. no paperwork, no headaches.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Depends on your pain tolerance. I make pretty good money doing transfers. If I'm going to do transfers I might as well custom order as well.

Runingfool

added info

20 bucks is not enough to do transfers. If the purchaser has a CHL, no big deal, but when the purchaser or transferee doesn't, I have had issues in the past. One is a deny. Problem with this is you have the firearm in your procession, but the potential owner cannot own it. The next one is delay, you have to hold onto the firearm and have the potential owner return to your location and resign the 4473 indicating nothing has changed. All a pain in my opinion and worth more than the 20 bucks. Sorry, Williams Shooters Supply, Ron Shirks Shooters have good pricing and dealers can purchase from them. I have been dealing with both since 1981.

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all for the info. Actually, the only reason I'm looking for this is to be able to purchase for myself and family members...ain't getting into transfers per se, but I want to be able to purchase without going through local dealers. We have a few here in the area but they like/need to make a healthy profit. I just don't want to get stung and will only purchase one or two a year. Several clients have asked about me buying the gun, engraving it and selling it to them to keep the transaction simple, which I would like to do. My business license from the city is an "art" license and I'm not going to jeopardize it by selling or transferring firearms from my home. Besides, I have enough to do with my engraving endeavors and am a year behind already! Any way, I'll check with those companies suggested.

Bill

Runingfool

You'll learn real quick, during your first inspection with ATF that they do not want the person to obtain a FFL for personnel use, they want to see transfers or sales on your disposition records book. Their thought is that if your going to use the license for yourself and family, you don't need one. Good Luck

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I made $90 Saturday morning doing transfers not including firearms sales. We have inventory on hand and do Internet sales and special orders. Every once in awhile we do a gun show but they are hit or miss here. I have quite a few distributors but my favorite is Zanders. I bought gun shop software and it does all the book work for me. It's a lifesaver.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You'll learn real quick, during your first inspection with ATF that they do not want the person to obtain a FFL for personnel use, they want to see transfers or sales on your disposition records book. Their thought is that if your going to use the license for yourself and family, you don't need one. Good Luck

This isn't true. Gunsmiths (and gun engravers doing business) are required to have FFLs but are not expected to or required to sell/transfer.

Latest posts

Sponsors