I was excited to finally get a rolling mill

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was excited to finally get a rolling mill, but when I got back from lunch this is what was on my porch.

image.jpg

Now I have to figure out if its damaged. I hate UPS!

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not sure why the forum turned the picture sideways. Figures - shouldn't have got of bed today.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's ridiculous packaging for something that heavy. It should have been double boxed at least. Not sure UPS gets the blame.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm always happy to hear of new toy acquisitions. as far as rolling out of the sack-- that's something that always brings exciting new adventures to me like overdue bills, utility shutoffs., relatives bugging me for bail money= you know, all the good stuff in life !

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
My Durston came in much different packaging. You would have to run over it to make it look like that. Doesn't look like original packaging.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Low those many years ago when I bought mine it came bolted to a wooden frame with a box over it. like a mini pallet, clearly labeled this side up. Sorry for your troubles. Fred

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
Check the frame of the rolling mill for cracks. The frame is usually made from cast iron that is notorious for not being shock resistant. If there are no cracks visible it should be fine. Where is the handle?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Handle was wrapped seperately. I'm about to put it together and do a close inspection. I spent the afternoon doing NFA required engraving on a group of short barreled rifles. I'm finally free to do a damage assessment.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
mine came in wood crate too.. bolted,.. check adjustment wheel.. instructions not to use it to support weight.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Reminds me of receiving my Bonnydoon.
The female UpyoUrS driver just pushed it out of her truck onto the concrete.
Lee had to build me a new one. He squalled that it was Just cosmetic, BUT !, so is a dent in your new Mercedes.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Update: Finally talked to the seller.

They basically said if it works, there is no problem. I told them if I wanted a working mill with unknown internal damage and cosmetically beat up, I would have purchased it new. They said it was how Durston shipped it to them (I'm sure it was on a pallet with others and therefore protected).

So, I guess I won't be doing anymore business with GoldMachinery.com.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Beathard
I get my new Durston Mill in a few days. I can make some Photos for you. I think it´s shipped from Durston directly.
chris

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
Got mine several months ago from Otto Frei the mill was bolted to a wooden support in the bottom and obvious made for the purpose cardboard supports. The outside was clearly marked with warning and a Durston labels.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They said it was how Durston shipped it to them

Can't you contact directly Durston and tell them how the mill was send to you.
If it is their responsibility they will respond and otherwise they'll have to know how crappy the mill is shipped from the dealer.
For them it's very important to know how their products are recieved by the customers.

Last edited:

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Update: Finally talked to the seller. <snip> So, I guess I won't be doing anymore business with GoldMachinery.com.

Best Clouseau Voice: Oeww.... Yes. Problem identified. Case Sulved. Gold. Come along, Kato.....

If it had been delivered as a hunk of slag, they might have maintained that it could still be used to thin metal (and wire, at no additional cost!) so it therefore "works"... No problem.

They are very creative, the clever business folks at Gold. When I'm in there, I hold on to my wallet with both hands....

Last edited:

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Beathard,
i told you i will post pictures when my mill arrives. Today 3 Weeks to late but may it helps you
This is the way Durston ships it for international Customers I got it from an german seller but they got it directly from durston

URL=http://www.pic-upload.de/view-24693302/Durston-D2-130.1.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Latest posts

Sponsors