Pencil portrait

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A pencil portrait I've been working on of Winston Churchill and Martin Strolz, drawn from a photo I shot of them a few years ago at Grandmasters.

progress_3-2.jpg

progress_3.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
just plain beautiful doesn't quite cover such nice art. maybe smackin dandy will !

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Sam, what an amazing skillfull drawing, I think I discovered now one of your hobbies, I recognize this as a piece made out of love and not as a paying job, beautiful!!!

phil

Elite Cafe Member
I don't have many heroes Sam, but I genuinely do have you on my hero list. Fabulous doesn't even cover it. Most impressive.
I recently watched something on the news over here about an artist that did what I can only describe as bulino drawings. He used a microscope and with a pencil and paper built up pictures as you would bulino with millions of dots and tiny lines per square inch. The expression "photo realistic" came nowhere near. They were incredible. I will try and find a link to it if I can and post it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Out of curiosity, you surely didn't put those details in without visual aid?

Sam

Staff member
Wow Sam, what an amazing skillfull drawing, I think I discovered now one of your hobbies, I recognize this as a piece made out of love and not as a paying job, beautiful!!!

Thanks Willem :) No, it's not a paying job. Winston and Martin are friends of mine that I greatly admire and it was a labor of love. I will frame it and hang it in my studio :)

Sam

Staff member
I don't have many heroes Sam, but I genuinely do have you on my hero list. Fabulous doesn't even cover it. Most impressive.
I recently watched something on the news over here about an artist that did what I can only describe as bulino drawings. He used a microscope and with a pencil and paper built up pictures as you would bulino with millions of dots and tiny lines per square inch. The expression "photo realistic" came nowhere near. They were incredible. I will try and find a link to it if I can and post it. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Out of curiosity, you surely didn't put those details in without visual aid?

Thanks Phil :) I'd like to see that link when you find it.

I used 1.25x reading glasses for this. As you can see it's pretty large so that was adequate for most of it, but there were a few times I wanted just a little more magnification but I did it with the 1.25x.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting! What is the pencil point geometry that you're using Sam? Parallel heel or old school? Are you using simple hand push technique or new GRS Airtac/GRAPHITE? Seriously, excellent pencil work from a superior photo.

Sponsors