Magnagraver lacks forceful impacts.

jzknives

So I just got a magnagraver at a great price from one of the guys here and I am having some problems with it.

I am ASSUMING this tool works similar to a recipricating hammer and the head moves a little bit every time its actuated. Only it seems like my tool doesnt move much and if i have the screw on the side tightened it wont move at all , the only movement I seem to get is the slight vibration of the hammer inside the tool.

I took apart the tool and removed all of the grease as it looked very old. I re applied lube and for a few minutes it worked great but then seemed to seize up again.

Is this tool not supposed to be very powerful? I was under the impression that it was similar to hammer and chisel and great for harder metals. Its barely managing to cut copper.

What am i doing wrong here? Is it the tool or is it me? i thought this tool was capable of taking chunks out of metal no problem. BTW i have the varipact turned all the way up to high so its not that.

Last edited:

mrthe

The Magnagraver II have a lot of power,it is not normal and yes is like an hammer and chisel you will have not problems to work in steel with it,make a call to the Ngraver company maybe will help.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
jz,Give Ray a call at ngraver 860-823-1533 he well help you with the problem. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you have the shaft connected to the direct drive end of your motor you will have less power than if it is connected to the gear reduction shaft. In my experience, the NgraveR has plenty of power for any typical engraving.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as a former owner/user of this tool, it will do steel nearly as well as it will the softer metals. mine was always connected to the reduced end of my foredom motor as roger mentioned. the only time i ever ran direct was when using the rotary handpiece. if your motor is just the direct drive type, ray philips could surely tell if that was your problem.

Toad

Elite Cafe Member
The magna graver II that I have works fine. Your may need something. I've never had a problem with mine.
Todd