Learning how to Wriggle

Mikey B

Hi guys, I'm a newbie on the forum! I am in Devon in the UK.

I am desperate to learn how to do the wriggle style engraving as found on brass musical instruments, especially saxophones.

I don't have any previous experience of metal engraving, or even know what tools I would need.

Any advise as to the best place to start and what tools I need and where I can obtain them plus any guide books on the subject in the UK would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Mikey

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you go to 1:38 there's a short example of wriggling. Basically you use a flat graver and "walk" it side to side. A #38 flat graver with a 45° face and 15° heel will give you something to practice with.

[video=youtube;gSIn5qbfzzs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIn5qbfzzs[/video]

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think the best gravers for this work are flats and rounds. depending on the particular effect you're trying to achieve, even properly sharpened screwdrivers are the tool of choice. you simply let one corner of the graver dig in to the metal slightly, while the corner remains stuck in the metal, rotate the blade 30 or so degrees forward then shift the graver so the other corner digs in. repeat this sequence several hundred times and there it is. way more difficult to explain than to actually do it. see if there are any videos by jason dumars. years ago he posted a couple fotos on the forum, as well as having some very interesting video as to how hhe did this work. i have quite a few fotos of this type work if you want to view them. lemme know at jayismonk450@gmail.com be glad to share them with you.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mikey. Suttons tools or Walsh tools in hockley Birmingham can supply the tools by post. You will find GRS tools at both places but glardon vallorbe gravers are the default order so if you specifically want GRS be mindful of that. You won't need power assist for wriggling so a few flat gravers and handles will suffice. The american sizes are different to the UK so don't ask for say a number 42 flat because they won't know what you are on about. Our sizes range from number 2 to 24 and that is the millimeter size of the width of the tool at the cutting edge. So. If you want a wriggled line of 1.4 mm in width, then order a number 14 flat. Good luck in your studies. It is far from easy but most rewarding. You will find everyone on this forum is most helpful and the advice you get is worth its weight in gold.
Ps . Buy plasters ( band aids for US)...... lots of em.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mikey, There are some great videos on You Tube by Jason DuMars. He makes it look very simple, I'm sure tis is through many years of experience and he works with simple hand tools, I had to look him up under "saxophone engraving" good luck.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When wriggling on the curved surfaces of an instrument wear a heavy leather glove on the hand not working the graver. A flat graver will inflict a nasty wound when (not if) you slip off. A few years ago I was introduced to an elderly gentleman who had been a production Western silver engraver for many years. They use flats for almost everything. His left hand looked like it had been hit with a load of bird shot from all of the times he had slipped in his rush to meet production quotas. I only stabbed myself once when I buried a graver up to the ferrule between my left thumb and forefinger. Luckily, it was a very thin lozenge graver which did no real harm to me.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the wriggle is very easy to do, with a bit of practice. folowing a layout line can be another problem-- again more practice called for. when you feel up to it, you'll encounter another problem or 2. holding the instrument safely is one. the other-- the metal is very thin, and can be deformed, or even cut thru with excessive force.
a trick i would do-- stuff little balls of plasticine or or even kids' non hardning modeling clay into a plastic bag. shove down into the bell till it lends support to the outer surface. don't pack so tightly that you cant get the bag back out.
lastly, you'll be working on negative, as well as positive curved surfaces that at times will be compound. this requires a continuously variable change in wrist angle to keep the graver on "target". this is done by feel. more than vision.
go to a local scrap dealer and get some old lamp bases to practice on. anything at all with similar curves will provide the practice you will need. hang in there-- the reward is always good !

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk,

Thank you for your input, I will put this info in my bag of knowledge

celticjohn

Yeah what roger said too......these thing go in cleanly. I remember slipping with a large square and when I looked down between my thumb and forefinger there was a perfect rectangular shape of flesh missing. It took a while to heal too.

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
The question about the heel depends upon what sort of wiggeling you want to do. If you hold the graver at a steep angle, and sorta walk with it, then no heel. If, however, you lay it more down, and use a bit of force, then I would recomend a small heel, as it does make the pattern sorta cleaner.

Mikey B

Thanks for all your replies guys. I am working on this slow time, having made some gravers out of thin HSS strips. I am managing to get a reasonable wriggled line but will be a while before I get too adventurous. Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks, Mike

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
I want to get this video but have a few questions. The faq section of the videos says I can watch it with my Android tablet but says I can stream it. Does that mean it can't be saved onto my tablet just streaming is available? Every other computer in the house has Ubuntu (linux) on it and not sure if the download will play on our computers. Hate to spend 50 bux and not be able to watch it.
Does anyone know if you can get your money back if it doesn't work with your set up? Does this video come with some printable fonts? It talks about some worksheet, pdf and such but doesn't tell what they are. I do have a dvd player for a tv but none of the computers have a dvd drive in them anymore. Will it play on a regular non computer dvd player?

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
not quite sure who said it but at some point in your engraving "career" especially if you are in business for yourself someone is going to ask you to do some lettering sooner or later.:hammer:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wood worker supply houses have a safety glove Kevlar and wire mesh. Think chain mail, very flexible
I wear it in side the leather glove, one hole was enough for me.

Sponsors