1873 Rifle Engraving

Aspen Filly

Here are a couple of pictures of an 1873 rifle I engraved for a young man in Australia!

image.jpg

image.jpg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a pleasing design on the gun. what gravers did you use todo the cutting ?

Aspen Filly

Hi Monk
I used a carbalt xd by lindsay with a 116 degree. I sharpened it with a 55 degree face though.

Runingfool

From the look of the dust cover, being a type three serial number above 90,000, they were made between 1882 and 1923.

Aspen Filly

This was just engraved thru the present bluing. He brought the gun over and I did the engraving while we were shooting a SASS Cowboy Shoot. He had to return to Australia with it right afterwards.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Just the type of engraving that belongs on this type of rifle. . .not overly embellished, but good coverage! I'm curious as to the present state of weapons ownership/use 'down under'. Having read that the Australia was on a maniacal drive to rid the whole continent of firearms, and demonize the mere discussion of firearms, I wonder if this is true? Have certain firearms been exempted? The USA seems to be nearly the last hold out. Maybe someone can correct me on this? I'm curious. And, again, excellent work!

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
We still have our guns, but the Govt has put the onus on us to have a "valid reason" for ownership. I live on 40 acres and it is the smallest incision allowed for Rural Use. If you are a member of a gun club then sporting use is allowable. I am going through the process of getting my handgun licence and had to become a member of a pistol club, it is a 6 month process prior to applying for the licence, then I have to shoot a minimum of 4 shoots per year per category of handgun to keep the licence.
All just so I can engrave a gun sometime in the future.

Aspen Filly

Does sasa count for three catagories since you have to shoot pistol/rifle and shotgun at a shoot???

Latest posts

Sponsors