Engraved a Glock...wait what?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know some of you frown upon the thought of engraving an ugly square Glock, but I believe that if done in good taste it can look nice.

Every time I engrave I get better and every time I engrave I can see 100 ways I can improve.

I will post some better High Definition pictures for Sam when my new photography equipment comes in next week.

I hope you guys like it if you don't it's perfectly alright I'm a big boy I can take it.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think you did a respectable job on it although I don't care for the gold. IMHO most gold plating makes guns look cheap, but there are customers who want it.

So how difficult is the slide to cut? Did you remove the background?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

Gold plating was not my idea but to be honest it turned out better than what I thought, as far as the cutting im not really sure what to compare it too as ive only engraved guns, so if i had to compare it i guess its as hard as a stainless steel colt 1911, very vague I just hope it helps, yes background was relieved and BOY was that a learning experience, I learned so much can wait to start the next one, I'm already working on the design and some inlayed borders, big step for me...wish me luck

Last edited:

Beladran

Elite Cafe Member

I had a glock that I set up to shoot uspsa but never could get use to the glock platform. Just a die hard 1911 guy.

that's not a bad looking engraving job you did but the gold does seem a bit much

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
notwithstanding the nice lipstick, you put it on a pig ! my ignorant statement is a statement of my aversion to the gun,not your work. darn, are there no more 1911's out there ?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos engraved the original slide. It was very hard. This one is a replacement slide. I have seen the gun in person. It's a nice job...

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not sure what the gold sights will do for the shooter. Being a target shooter , I'm partial to flat black on the front and back sights. Maybe your enhancements will relegate it to the safe queen status. It looks more like a piece of jewelery than a firearm. I like the engraving.
Cheers
Don

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think in Texas they call these BBQ guns. Guns that are meant to be worn as jewelry and not really shot.

Carlos, you did a very nice job. You've come a long way in a short time. Don't stop learning and pushing your comfort level.

Personally I think those nice flat areas of the Glock slide are just screaming "ENGRAVE ME!!!"

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
@Monk

Don't Worry my next project is a colt 1911

@BKJ

What did I learn, don't let your dingle dangle in the dirt, hah Jk old military quote, well I learned how much work is involved in a relieved background, because of this I kind of learned how to make my own punches, and temper (did not work out at times but the basic steps are there, just need to perfect it). There is so much more to list I would neet at least 10 to 15 pages, really. You learn from reading, you learn from one on one, but you also learn by just doing it, I hope this helps

@Gerry

Thank YOU Amigo!

@Don

It wont be fired Texas BBQ gun

@Bert

Thanks

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very good job and well done, thank you Carlos for share your experiance

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know this post is getting a little stale but I thought I'd add a bit of knowledge about the Glock slide in case anyone is thinking of cutting one after seeing Carlos's project.
The original slide that comes on a Glock has a hard coating called Tenifer. It's a hard anodizing process as best I can tell and almost impossible to cut well. I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot graver.
The Lone Wolf replacement slide however is about as nice as stainless steel gets. I think it's 416 or something similar. Not bad to cut but a lot of background removal becomes tedious. (ask me how I know!)
Don't ever make the mistake of thinking these two slides are in any way the same thing.
And you have indeed come a long way Carlos. You have been tenacious and it's paid off.
Layne

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Carlito
If only these guys could see some of the cartels's playtoy's plating jobs !
That niche market keeps having openings for some unknown reason. ??? :cool:

Latest posts

Sponsors