Base for my Italian engraving vise

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Aaron McMichael machined me a nice, heavy base for my old Italian engraving vise. I have it mounted on a GRS turntable and it works really well for hammer & chisel engraving under a microscope. I would imagine it would handle the heaviest of gun barrels or anything else that could be thrown at it!

italian_vise_base.jpg

phil

Elite Cafe Member
He must have one monster size lathe to turn that base!
It makes me very nervous seeing your hammer anywhere near that beautiful scope. Even in those skilled hands of yours!

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
<sigh> Well, that just turned off the tape running in the back of my head saying "where can I get a vise that will turn in the center and is self centering... where can I get a vise that will turn in the center and is self centering...." and ended the fun of searching the world for just the right vise....

Just mount it on a big hunky cylinder, put the cylinder on a centered turntable, done. Some people just take the fun out of everything by thinking about it a different way. :)

Nicely played, Sam!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wonder what you'll put that big hunk of steel in so you can engrave it? It looks awfully plain. I bet it will get at least some embellishment one of these times. :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
looks quite dangerous to me. imagine if the base collapses ! dangerous, i'll take it off your hands in the name of safety.

mrthe

I was just looking today at two Italians website where i see some pictures using vises like this, but mounted in a different way , your base look great and is a very interesting setup!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam.
Is the swivel built into the vise not functioning?
Why the need for the turn table?
michael

The swivel works fine. The turntable is for using it under a microscope.

Your LaTourneau vise setup is probably the biggest, baddest, heavy duty-est setup I've ever seen. That thing could hold a truck axle.

Latest posts

Sponsors