Question: Manufacturers?

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I am looking for a comprehensive list of engraving system manufacturers. I am taking the GRS basic class next month and want to research systems before I go. I'm an impulse purchaser and want to avoid shocks down the line.

I know about GRS, Enset and Lindsay but would like to know if there are others.

I am a newbie and no I am not trying to start a tool war and yes I HAVE used the search engine.

I won't even dare as if there is a list of pros and cons for each. :shock:
:biggrin:

mrthe

This 3 are the brands that produce air powered engraving systems,other ones should be cheap China copyes and avoid them, exist too the NGraver Magnagraver and the Foredom engraving system but are powered by a Flexy Shaft and are not confortable to use like the powered by air.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's very easy to make expensive mistakes and the Cafe's Buy & Sell is often the place where those tools are sold. Avoid buyer's remorse and wait until you take the class before you make tool buying decisions. If you've never engraved before there's no way you can make an informed decision about the tools you'll need. In the mean time read-up on all the brands and familiarize yourself with the various options and features. They are all capable of producing world class work in the hands of master, and no brand will make a poor engraver a good one.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Sam. Take your time and see if you can find someone near you, where you can try each one out. It would be best to do this after the basic class so you have an idea on how to use them. But try before you buy, and get what is most comfortable for you.

Mike

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I will be in Vegas for SHOT show in January and decided to stay for the FEGA show. However, my class is in September and I'm afraid of taking too much time between the class and getting a system. I had been thinking about going to the Trinidad classes and decided I wanted to try the GRS equipment and signed up for their class. I'll probably take further classes in Trinidad since I can use the GI Bill for it, unless of course Sam will be teaching a GRS intermediate class :) . I was fortunate enough to catch the GRS crew at the Denver classic firearms show this spring and got to handle the system they brought.

I have been looking at the systems for sale here in the forum but without having any experience in judging the condition of the equipment I'm a bit nervous about it.

I'm very fortunate that my husband is nearly as interested in engraving as I am (he is actually taking a week off from work to home-school our three small children so I can go to Kansas for a week) and is encouraging me to buy a system that I won't need to upgrade in the future. His dad was a traditional sign maker and both my mother and grandmother tooled saddle leather for a living so we both have a history with the artisan/craftsman lifestyle.

Don't worry, I won't be touching any firearms with a graver for a long long long long long long long time. I'm a bit shocked when I'm chatting with customers and tell them I'm taking an engraving class and they instantly ask me to do some work for them!!!!!! Holy Cow!

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
I found a lady in Denver who agreed to have me come up and spend time with her on occasion. I'll definitely be taking her up on the offer.

Sam

Staff member
You invest a lot of time and money on the momentum you build taking a class. My advice is to hit the ground running as quickly as possible when you're finished. I've seen too many students wait weeks and months and this almost always to their detriment.

dandzivi

I took Rex Pedersen's firearms engraving class at GRS, back in May. I was very satisfied with the instruction I got there and will definitely be going back for more classes in the future. By the end of the week, everyone in that class was doing some very nice work. You will not be disappointed. And as you would expect, while you are at GRS, you will have a chance to work with their best equipment all week long. If there is anything you'd like to see or try out, all you have to do is ask them.
As soon as I got back home I set about trying to get a system together, buying one piece at a time. As luck would have it, I stumbled into a great deal on a barely used Lindsay Classic Airgraver (w/ foot control) and bought it. Although I am completely satisfied with it, I also enjoyed working with the GRS system as well. In my humble novice opinion, you can't go wrong with either of those two! I have not had the opportunity to try any other brands, so I cannot speak to that.
I also agree with what Sam says about getting out of school and getting to work as soon as you can. Don't lose the momentum. I'm also eagerly awaiting getting started on my first gun engraving project, but until then I will continue to hone the skills on practice plates or whatever odd piece of metal I can get hold of and get chucked up in my vise.

Best of Luck,
Dan

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
The big thing I need to figure out is if it is better to learn hand control over foot control from the beginning. It seems like there are a lot of people who prefer to continue the way they learned in the beginning even if they do upgrade to an AT system.

Right now I am reading/studying the J.B.Meek book and focused on the techniques he presents.

Sam

Staff member
The big thing I need to figure out is if it is better to learn hand control over foot control from the beginning.

I start all of my students on the foot control. Some move on to the hand control later and some stay with the foot pedal forever.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have an old Gravermax...and an even older Gravermax. Either one does everything I could want and everything I am capable of. I used the newer model at GRS and they are great, but the old ones are fine. I haven't used a Lindsay or Enset, I am sure they are both great.
The drawback to the GRS tools is that they require a compressor. If you can afford a quiet one, no problem, otherwise it needs a long airhose or a sound proofed closet.
I also use a scope, my vision at 65 isn't what it used to be. If I wer 30 years younger, I would consider the Lindsay and be able to take it to shows etc, and use a visor for magnification, but it isn't really an option for me. It may be something you want to think about, the ability to personalize pieces at a show, or not...up to you.
Just my 2 cents, I love my GRS tools.

Latergaters

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the information. I've figured out a lot today and even found some locals to help me out. I was worried about posting and starting a "tool war" but I'm really glad I did.