Help, please: Identifying atypical Colt Clone

blacksheep214

Hi there ,
I've got this Colt Clone with no markings except a 45 on the trigger guard and 5 serials (including on on the cylinder and barrel) where you'd find them on a real Colt SAA. It has a bullesye ejector rod in a cylindrical (tubular) housing and real stag grips. The bolt mechanism is different has is part of the hammer that catches on this popping bolt. It's quite a nice looking revolver. IMG_20140825_204327.jpg IMG_20140825_204157.jpg IMG_20140825_204321.jpg IMG_20140825_204304.jpg IMG_20140825_204312.jpg IMG_20140825_204240.jpg

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
The type of ejector rod ("bullseye") and a screw in the front of the frame that locks the cylinder pin in place were used on the "black powder frame" single actions. Have you disassembled the gun yet? There may be markings under the trigger guard or grips. If it were a real Colt with all the markings removed or worn off, the serial number on the backstrap is within the range of a black powder gun. I can't quite make out the first number, but if it's a "2" it would have been made in 1876, or a "9" in 1883. It would be nice if it were a real Colt.

blacksheep214

Hey there and thanks for the replies.
I can say that it's definitely not e real COlt having opened the gun and noticed the distinct différences in the mechanism (the bolt is different it doesn't pivot on the screw but pops up and down in a differend type of setting...) The serial is 28428 which ranges it (if it where a real COlt) in the black powder era.... There are no markings Inside and I think somebody tried to make it look like a real Colt by adding the serials. Another very important difference is the where the notches are on the cylinder. They are more to the back of the cylinder (a bit like S&W revolvers) unlike the ones one a genuine Colt... The gun sure feels right and is very nice indeed the real stag grips the patina, it all looks and feels right. It makes a great project.
I still hope somebody could identify it.....

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Might actually be some experimental Colt project that they decided against. That would be a real find if it is genuine. I would check with Colt Collectors organization before embellishment starts. Might be long lost prototype. Fred

Sponsors