New oil and transfer wax containers

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I had Aaron McMichael machine me a couple of heavy brass containers for my graver lube and transfer wax. I did a brush finish with Scotchbrite and then antiqued them with gun blue cream. I'll eventually engrave them or at least put my name on them. They sure look nice on the bench and are heavy enough to stay put (my little tin oiler would often end up on the floor). Thank you Aaron!!

containers1-sm.jpg

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Now all you need is some matching brass lids to match the taper on the cups, and a little knob on the top. . .might put you in mind of one of those bells you ring on the counter in a hotel lobby. The cover would help in keep the brew from drying out, and provide more area to engrave. If I get a lathe down here, I planned to make something similar, with a deep enough cup to pack in some cotton waste, soaked with lube, and a disk of felt placed on top to wick up the lube. Just a touch of the graver tip will do, just for a little film on the tip. I think that might've been mentioned in Meek's book, or somewhere. For lube, I'm going to try out thinned, heavy blackstrap, or steam engine oil I have laying around somewhere. . .excellent for resizing cartridge cases, but it smells. Just a couple ideas to toss around.

Sam

Staff member
Now all you need is some matching brass lids to match the taper on the cups, and a little knob on the top. . .might put you in mind of one of those bells you ring on the counter in a hotel lobby. The cover would help in keep the brew from drying out, and provide more area to engrave. If I get a lathe down here, I planned to make something similar, with a deep enough cup to pack in some cotton waste, soaked with lube, and a disk of felt placed on top to wick up the lube. Just a touch of the graver tip will do, just for a little film on the tip. I think that might've been mentioned in Meek's book, or somewhere. For lube, I'm going to try out thinned, heavy blackstrap, or steam engine oil I have laying around somewhere. . .excellent for resizing cartridge cases, but it smells. Just a couple ideas to toss around.

Lids would sure look nice and I'd thought of that, but I doubt I'd ever use them.

I used to use different fibrous materials for my oiler and would get little fibers sticking to my gravers. A sponge seems to work better in that regard. The discussion of various oils has always been an interesting one, but I'm not sure I can detect a difference in any of them when it comes to engraving. It's possible Tap Magic helps produce a brighter cut, but I've never done any serious testing.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
For me the only addition would be a plastic rim on the lube container to protect the graver point, as my aim is not always perfect! Nice containers and I like the finish you place on them.

monk

Staff member
i've always said, " there's nothin like a 10# wax tin". you need to have your pal make some of these . i'd buy one.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Nice turning job , the antiquing looks great. It looks like I have another future job for my metal lathe. I might add a lid to keep the dirt out of my wax.
Regards
Don

Last edited:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
Sam,
Those are really cool. You're right, mine seems to end up on the floor somewhere under the bench more often than not.

Todd

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice items to post in one of your next "painting with light" pictures.

Maybe another item to order at The White Horse Pottery Co Sam, a new working chair.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
I asked Aaron if he'd make these machined brass containers for others, and he said he would. The price is $25ea plus postage.

mrthe

Can you ask if is possible shipping overseas please? will be great use it for my homemade finishing sculpting wax!

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I couldn't stand it... I had to order one too. I'm such a tool collector I can hardly stand myself. But, I HAD to have one. Especially at that price! :)

Sam

Staff member
I couldn't stand it... I had to order one too. I'm such a tool collector I can hardly stand myself. But, I HAD to have one. Especially at that price! :)

Yep. Engrave your name on it and it becomes a treasure for future generations.

Latest posts

Sponsors