Question: Terminology

MountainMan

I am new to this skill and am trying to turn it into a small business venture eventually. If I buy a tomahawk handle and head kit, but then engrave them. Is it still classified as handmade? Any assistance would be welcomed.

Boris

Only if you forged the head and made the handle yourself. I dabble in Antiques a lot, and "Hand Made" is not normally a term used to describe an assembled product from pre-made production parts.

That's what applies in our World, of old and vintage pieces, and includes old weapons.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you engrave the item by hand, you can call the art on the piece, "hand engraving". as for the hawk kit, i'd simply label it as hand engraving on a store-bought hawk. honesty never gets one in trouble. the same cant be said of misleading a potential buyer of your efforts.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One made by a blacksmith would be hand made. Yours would be hand assembled and hand engraved. Advertising is the art of deceiving the public into assuming something is true when it isn't.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, kanger: you're a bit off the mark. you got to deceive them into thinking they want it .

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Depending on who you get the head kit from,they are a wide variety of metals used.Most are cast and include 1030 mild steel to hardened D2 tool steel.If you are just beginning engraving you should know the materials first.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hey, kanger: you're a bit off the mark. you got to deceive them into thinking they want it .
That's why they use Australians or fat guys wearing chef's hats to sell stuff. Seems they're more believable. :shock:

FWIW, my youngest brother was a pitch man and ran a crew of 40 "associates" selling such stuff at county fairs and major chain stores.
http://www.syndicate-sales.com/Stove-Top_Grill_Info.php
Notice the "chef" recipes. He's a vegetarian and his wife, Chef Rhonda Orto, can't even boil water. :clapping:

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
That's why they use Australians or fat guys wearing chef's hats to sell stuff. Seems they're more believable.

A little off topic but since we lost the minimum requirements that television advertisements be Australian produced our screens have been full of Americans trying to sell us things that we don't need.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
FWIW, my youngest brother was a pitch man and ran a crew of 40 "associates" selling such stuff at county fairs and major chain stores.

"Never give a sucker an even break."

Sponsors