First serious attempt at English Fine Scroll.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have tried to do English Fine Scroll ever since I got my copy of Marcus Hunt's wonderful book and DVDs. This is the first major project on which I tried to use it. This is an inexpensive Mossberg 20ga. that I use to pop clays. I figured if I screwed it up, then no one else would be hurt. I was going for a very traditional British style. I'm reasonably pleased with the overall effect, just don't look too closely under magnification! As Andrew would say, "There are a few 'wonky' scrolls". I made many more mistakes on the floorplate area. I got a little more confident by the time I got to the sideplates.

It took 48 hours to cut and about a billion hours to file, stone and polish off the bloody crap that Mossberg had on the gun in the form of laser "engraving".

The photos are my first attempt at the "Painting with Light" technique and shooting in the RAW format. I must say, that I am very impressed and kind of P.O.ed that I didn't know about this technique BEFORE I bought soft boxes and studio lighting! It's so easy!

Anyway, I am always open to any and all critiques and would love to hear from Marcus himself.

Attachments

• Mossberg-20ga,-Sideview.jpg
    Mossberg-20ga,-Sideview.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 495
  • Mossberg-20ga.jpg
    Mossberg-20ga.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 489

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Awesome job!!!!! but it makes me sick that you did all this beautiful work in only 48 hrs, I might just have to give up & do something else.

Dwayne

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc,Your English scrolls are really beautiful,Marcus put together a fine book and DVD's.Keep up the good work. J.J.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Way to improve the value of a Mossberg. Thanks for posting and letting everyone know how many hours went into it and the horrors that were involved. I look at all the beautiful work shown on this form and always wonder what went into it and what tools were used to created it. Keep up the good work.
Regards
Don

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nicely done. Even nicer that you are holding on to it. All to often we are like the cobblers children. Nice to give yourself some shoes.
Layne

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all the compliments guys! Don, yes it only took 48 hours of cutting, but I must have spent at least another 15 hours at the drawing table playing with dozens of different designs, until I was ready to cut.

Layne, yes, it is nice to hold on to some of our own work. But, I would also like to be doing some of this work for others, and not just under the table. Where I live, I can't get an FFL license because of local zoning laws prohibiting my ability to have a "business" in my home. Even if I would not have customers come into my "shop". So, I'm stuck doing guns either for myself or "on spec".

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You say parts of it don't look all that great under magnification?

Congratulations! You've matched some high quality engraving! My ever-indulgent wife bumped my order up to the deluxe set with the extra castings and when you look closely at the castings Marcus included there are... interesting parts in them.

At arm's length - where the engraving is meant to be seen they look great, and your shotgun looks great in the pictures so I'd say you've got it!

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
As you, already received a lot of compliments I shall not join my voice to other, what would be the point? My question is about "English fine scroll" since English scrolls are seldom heavy what are you referring too, I am not being picky am just interested with the terminology.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thierry, there is a type of "English Large Scroll", which is why there is a delineation between "Fine" and "Large" terminology. This is according to Marcus Hunts writings.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark, Your artistic pallet of talents is ever expanding. Congratulations on an outstanding work. As far as FFL, I have a buy back contract with my customers. I buy the gun for one dollar with a promise should I decided to sell it they have first right of refusal and the price will only be for one dollar plus the cost of improvements. Was drawn up by my lawyer for fifty bucks. After explaining the problems with zoning I have never had a serious customer not sell me their gun. Plus their gun is insured by my studio insurance rider as I own it. Fred