First serious attempt at English Fine Scroll.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's interesting Fred. I had the exact same plan in mind, but was concerned that it would be considered evading the law, and as such, I could still be prosecuted. What do some of you others think? Hey good buddy Mike, we need your legal advice

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Fred and Doc - If a repeated (sign contracts) shows the purpose of buying the firearm and then reselling the firearm on a routine basis can be established you are in the "business of dealing in firearms" for which you must have a FFL. You may have had a lawyer draw up the contract and the contract is legal but the act is not. It is one thing to accept local firearms from "friends" around the neighborhood and quite another to receive them by common carrier and returned to the same person that sent it to you. This thread alone proves your intent and yes Big Brother is watching. It is better to conduct your business above the law and in a professional manner. It is much cheaper to comply with the law than deal with the consequences.

RmG

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
RmG, yes, this is what I figured. That is why I've not done it before. I guess I'm out of luck unless I can get the city to give me a waiver on the "No business in the home" law. Then I could apply for the FFL.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc
Go to the planning dept, and apply for a variance. Usually a fee involved, explain that you are not selling firearms and will have no walk in trade, or business hours, just occasionally FedEx or UPS deliveries. Provide photos of your work with the application.also go to the planning commission meeting to explain the situation. Good Luck

PS don't do the FFL paperwork untill city approval
On the FFL paperwork list open by appointment only, don't know if you can still do this.

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my case it is the county sheriff who feels their are to many gun dealers working out of home as it is. I don't do many guns but I do a few a year. The sheriff is trying to get Eastman to stop coming to this county's fairgrounds. All local politics. Maybe he is not getting a cut or something. I live seven miles from town on my farm. Fred

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just got my FFL and the "appointment only" didn't work, had to have a specific time being open, so they (BATF) could come and inspect the business, so I am open Monday 10-2 only. Worked for them.

Marc, did I notice a few places on the bottom that were not finished?

Bill

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc,
Ditto what KCSteve and Andrew said. I've been playing with it since I got my book from Marcus, but I just haven't reached your level yet. Very nice.

Todd

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, there is a type of "English Large Scroll", which is why there is a delineation between "Fine" and "Large" terminology. This is according to Marcus Hunts writings.

Thank you for the info

In an other matter and if I may, I think that engraving a Mosberg is a mistake, Mosberg are neither collectable nor high price. Browning (Belgium ones), Perazzi or the alike would be better support for your work because the only difference between the field grade and the exhibition shotgun is the engraving and the the wood, good wood for both shotguns can be obtain, ready to go, at a very reasonable price. You could also consider used Lebeau Courlly, Scott all this shotgun would be more worthy of your talent and time.

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thierry, you are correct. A better shotgun would have been preferable. However, I'm still learning and this Mossberg is one I bought a couple of years ago to see if I would enjoy shooting skeet and sporting clays (which I've fallen in love with). If it weren't for my own pleasure, I would not have put this much effort onto an "inferior canvas".

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry, you are correct. A better shotgun would have been preferable. However, I'm still learning and this Mossberg is one I bought a couple of years ago to see if I would enjoy shooting skeet and sporting clays (which I've fallen in love with). If it weren't for my own pleasure, I would not have put this much effort onto an "inferior canvas".

Sorry I should not have presume that you were not aware.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark, Your artistic pallet of talents is ever expanding. Congratulations on an outstanding work. As far as FFL, I have a buy back contract with my customers. I buy the gun for one dollar with a promise should I decided to sell it they have first right of refusal and the price will only be for one dollar plus the cost of improvements. Was drawn up by my lawyer for fifty bucks. After explaining the problems with zoning I have never had a serious customer not sell me their gun. Plus their gun is insured by my studio insurance rider as I own it. Fred

can you explain it in third grade mode and color coded. ... Long day

Saludos,

Carlos

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Theoretically if the customer sells you the gun, you own it and there is no need for an FFL. There is no need for background checks on private sales and no FFL is necessary. Also theoretically there is no reason you couldn't sell the gun back to the person who you bought it from. For a slightly higher price than you paid considering it's now engraved. The problem comes in that it's an extremely gray area. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what and why you are doing it. I don't like being on the wrong side of the ATF. Then of course if you only did 2 guns a year the likelihood of it ever being an issue are slim.
Layne

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow

Looks like you've been doing it for a hundred years if you ask me.

I like it is an understatement.

Congrats.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Theoretically if the customer sells you the gun, you own it and there is no need for an FFL. There is no need for background checks on private sales and no FFL is necessary. Also theoretically there is no reason you couldn't sell the gun back to the person who you bought it from. For a slightly higher price than you paid considering it's now engraved. The problem comes in that it's an extremely gray area. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what and why you are doing it. I don't like being on the wrong side of the ATF. Then of course if you only did 2 guns a year the likelihood of it ever being an issue are slim.
Layne

Of course you own a gun you buy but if the owner is out of state the buyer needs to send the firearm to a FFL holder, then the FFL holder will need to transfer the firearm to the new owner. Of course the same process will apply when you sell the gun back. The ATF does not concerns itself with the monetary aspect of the transaction just with the mechanism. As for your 2 guns a year, as an individual you are not required by law to keep track of your private transactions, collectors buy, sell, trade part of their collection endlessly and legitimately I do not think there is a limit of the number of private transactions an individual can participate during the course of a year. Of course the ATF can interfere with private transaction but in most case it will have to do more with the type of firearms than with the number and even in such a case the burden on proof will be on the ATF.