Snuff Lid

krist003

Hello everyone,

I have had my Lindsay Artisan for a few years now, but am just getting settled in and ready to really use it now.I just finished this snuff lid as a practice piece. Thanks to Monk for the lids!

This is my first actual project and first time doing lettering. I realize there are many mistakes on this one (both in design and execution) and I would attribute that to my excitement to wanting to put graver to metal so quickly.
I just free handed it real quick and did not detail it out to make sure the scrolls were perfect or the lettering was straight. Oh well, I am happy with it. It was for practice after all. There are some doglegs and weak engraving along with forgetting a line on the leg of the "R", etc.

I took inspiration from a .410 floor plate engraved by Roger Bleile that I saw in the hand engraving glossary. It is stunningly beautiful.

I would like some opinions as to what, if any, treatments I should apply to it. Keep in mind it will be constantly rubbed in a back pocket. Antique finish, ammonia, black paint, etc? And of course, any critique is appreciated for the piece itself as well.

Thanks,
Cole

IMG_3570.jpg

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Cole, I really like what I see and I am not in a position to judge your work because I don't show that much myself.
But what I am looking at is very pleasing for the eye, the lettering could be a bit more improved by a better flow and smoothness, but overall I like your cutting very much.:thumbsup:
And okay, I noticed those little elbows but i'll bet with the next one they will be smaller....

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
As for a finish, you don't have many options. If you choose to not color, perhaps one of the 'bulletproof' clear spray/brush-on finishes might do, but you may have to bake it on and then epoxy it to the metal lid, if that's the technique you'll use. I don't know what types of lids are out there, these days. If filled with black 'bulletproof' finish, check to see if compatible with a clear overcoat. If lid material is aluminum, this brings up the issue of adhesion, as aluminum is a different animal. By coating, you'll be merely prolonging the wear factor, not ridding yourself of it entirely. Cloth carries dust with it, and this is the problem. You might find something that'll work, but may have to remove the finish that might be already applied to the lid. It'd be interesting to see what finishes are out there, as I'm unfamiliar with all of them.

krist003

Willem, thanks for the kind words. I am definitely looking to improve with each project. One of my main problems was securing this in the vise. I hot glued a block of wood inside it and it made it hard to cut because of the vibration, but I muscled through it anyway. I think it is time to pony up for some thermo-loc and a workholding plate to put in the vise.

Ron, thanks for the advise. The lid is brass. It may be best just to leave this bare or get some black paint into the crevices? It is a snuff can lid anyways and will get some character of its own after it sees some miles.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did you know that snuff can lids are sometimes used as a measuring device? e.g.: "She's seven axe handles and three snuff can lids wide!" :)

krist003

Thanks Willem, that Birchwood Casey Brass Black looks great, but not available for sale in CA. Figures.

Thanks for compliments mdengraver.

Doc, that is funny right there.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, the lettering is a bit off, but the over-all design is very pleasing. It's been my opinion that "Flare-Cut" type scroll engraving should not be filled with paint or ink. It's meant to be a form of bright cut. Now, the way that Rod gold plates the cuts only, in his sterling silver pieces, is a different matter altogether.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
almost all the lids that i make and then engrave on, i discuss the desired finish with the client. most are left plain, and assume a nice patina with time. your work is a bit short of being technically "perfect". having said that, i think it's a quite handsome piece to be right proud of. this would have had twice the visual impact had you oxidized or antiqued the lid prior to engraving. this way the engraving would just grab the eye. thanks for showing.

krist003

I will just leave it plain and get to practicing on the next one, but next time I may try to antique it before I engrave it. I still have a lot of practice to do with design and cutting before I worry about finishing anyway. I am my my worst critic and since I am a perfectionist it was hard for me to even post this. But since engraving is certainly not something to be learned overnight, I am laying my cards on the table and learning anything I can from the masters here. Thanks all.

Sponsors