Question: QC collets with Lindsay templates

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If what you want is a template system that works with the QC collets on a GRS post... well, it's already been invented and has been for sale for some years now.

Go look at the BPE products - "Advanced Quick Change Tool Sharpening fixture"

Brian

Last edited:

mrthe

Brian ,the BPE template if i'm not wrong is for standard heel not for parallel heel right?

quail333

Wow, thanks for all the thoughtful advice, I did not notice that Quick Change Sharpening Fixture, that looks like the ticket, I can see where my idea creates a couple of problems, still I think it is an option that needs to happen. I am going to build a new bench strictly for stone setting so that I can get some of those tools off of my jewelry bench.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just timed myself and it literally takes me 35 seconds to remove a graver from a quick change collet, leaving the collet in the handpiece, pop the graver into the Lindsay template which is always at hand, touch up the face and heels and put it back in the handpiece. Unless there is another reason other than speed and ease of use, I can't see a better system than Lindsay templates coupled with GRS tools.
Layne

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Paolo,

Yes, it does "standard" heels out of the box, but I've long since altered mine to do parallels too.

Even made my own template "recipes" for MY preferred geometries.

Much easier than re-inventing an entire unit from scratch...

Brian

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Last edited:

mrthe

Thank you Brian, i'm not very familiar with this type of template but is good to know that you can " modify" it if you need a different heel

quail333

OK Southern Comfort, for stone setting I will be working with flat, knife edge and onglette gravers, which templates should I get?I am new to sharpening steel with diamonds and was told By Dan Lopacki that I could probably do everything after grinding with a 1220 grit bench hone what do you think. I do not like using any rubber wheels at the bench so I would probably go with the leather and diamond for polishing.

quail333

Terrezar, thats the spirit, somebody should just make an adjustable length fixture for the QC that fits the templates, I think even with Lindsays fixture you can not just slam the graver in, you have to adjust for length. Cheers