Finding a Piece of History

Boris

I thought this would be interesting. Last week, I stumbled across a cased set of about 50 old, very well used, engravers, that came in a really nice 5 drawer box, that first drew my attention. A small album came with them, about the owner of these tools, that made it more than just a good find.

The Gravers belonged to a Albert Munford Lindsay, a Master Engraver, but in wood. Born in 1858 and died in 1940. He apprenticed under a William Van Ingen, from 1874 to 1879, and did wood engravings for well known Artists like Howard Pyle, John Austin Stevens, A.B. Frost, and Fredrick Remington. He also did many engravings for Harpers Ferry Weekly. He also was awarded the Bronze Medal, at the Colombian Exposition in 1893.

I wanted the box to use for my own engravers, but after finding out the History of this set, I think I will leave it alone, and together, for its Historical importance, since these things rarely happen. Its the last pieces of his estate directly from the family, and feel as though they should be preserved.

I know wood engraving and metal engraving are different, but in many ways the same. An interesting find was that some of the gravers had what looked like "Cork" handles, and it was confusing, but after finding out more, I see where cork would work, since there is little pressure on the graver doing wood. Holding th gravers, I wondered what they could tell me if they could talk, and what they had created in their lifetime. A good feeling.

Boris

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great to have such a collection. if it's not a trouble, could you please send photos of the collection ?

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
That is a great find Boris. Wood engraving is/was done in the end grain so there is little effort compared to metal engraving. I am glad you decided to keep the find "as is".

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a fascinating and historically important find, Boris. I hope you can make arrangements to preserve the set for posterity. I hope you will post photos for us.

This photo is of a wood engraving plate I have by W.L. Shepard from 1878. Shepard did many wood engravings of scenes from the old South. At first I thought it was copper but it's not. It's hand engraved wood. Just unbelievable how those guys were able to do this.

WL_Shepard_plate.jpg

Boris

Thanks. I will post some photos of the set.

That's a fantastic wood engraving Sam. Thanks for sharing it. I will have to make sure this set never gets separated, and is put some place where it will be enjoyed by those who are a part of preserving the art of engraving. It would be good for the public to see also, but I think its has more significance to engravers, because they would appreciate it a lot more than just anyone.

monk

Staff member
a real beauty. yes, it is difficult to know this was done at a time when the only power tools were muscle powered.

Latest posts

Sponsors