Question: A question for all you serious Photographers out there.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm going to try some of this "Painting with light" photography that Sam and Andy have been having fun with. I really like the soft, painterly effect. My question is why do you shoot in RAW format? What are the advantages of shooting in RAW as opposed to standard JPEG? Are there any disadvantages to RAW? I've been manipulating my photos in Photoshop for years and have never used RAW. Have I been losing something all this time? I noticed that my Canon can format an image in RAW and standard both at the same time. Is this the best way to go?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
RAW Convertor

Here's a screen shot of Photoshop with the RAW convertor opening a RAW file. Look at all the controls you have for processing the image. RAW collects everything in the image data and allows you to virtually re-shoot the image in Photoshop.

I resisted it for years too. Now, I always shoot in RAW + JPG. You get so much more control over the image there's no good reason not to.

RAWMOON.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mark: If the gods are with you and every image is perfectly exposed and white balanced, then there's no need to shoot RAW. Since that's pretty much impossible, RAW gives you WAY more control because of the amount of data it contains. You can have up to + or - 2 f-stops of exposure adjustment and tweak white balance to perfection. You can often recover details in blown highlights that would be impossible with a JPG because there's simply no data there to recover. There's not enough data in a JPG to allow much adjustment without seriously degrading the image. Also, a RAW photo is your digital negative which you can always go back and re-tweak to your heart's content and save a new JPG version when you're done.

If I'm shooting the grandkid's birthday party I shoot JPG. For anything serious I shoot RAW. Shooting JPG puts the camera in control and it decides how the photo should be processed. Shooting RAW puts YOU in control and this requires a bit more work on your part.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
As I previously mentioned, I'm not a computer person. I do have a Nikon CoolPix I bought when a local chain store went under, and I'll be using that when I someday get around to sending the Cafe some photos. From my 35mm days, before digitals, I made extensive use of a set of deep dish satin reflectors, with 60W or 75W lamps, with paper towels draped over them for shadow cancellation, diffusion, and to provide needed light. I photographed a machine a friend used to manufacture for the knifemaking fraternity, using 2" x 72", and 2" x 132" belts, and got many positive comments on the quality of the printed brochure. I don't have the time for the learning curve of the computer programs for photo editing, and I want to keep it simple with techniques I know that work, from experience. There are excellent programs out there to use in such endeavors, but they are beyond my comprehension. There have been excellent photographers out there who've used the most simple of equipment, and have done excellent work. You might have to fiddle around a little, but you can do it.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
Im not an professionall but a Picture says more than tousand words. I will show you the bevore after effect of one of my latest Photos. I like it a little bit darker :)
original Photo just a little bit smaler than normaly

after editing with the raw filter

The Pictures show some of my latest Mokume Gane Rings Sterling Silver with Shakudo

chris

Last edited:

ahenson

Adobe has a deal for photographers for Photoshop CC & Lightroom 5. It is $9.99/month. https://creative.adobe.com/plans/photography

I have been shooting in RAW for as long as I can remember using digital (save for maybe my first digital camera). I started out using the integrated RAW processor for Photoshop, but I almost exclusively use Lightroom now. Lightroom was pretty terrible, IMO, for the first few versions, but Adobe has improved it greatly. Hope that helps!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
O.K. You guys convinced me, I'll be shooting in RAW from now on. Hope to do some experiments tonight. I am confused as to which place to store the RAW settings. Do I use the "Camera RAW database file" or the "Sidecar .XMP file"?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am confused as to which place to store the RAW settings. Do I use the "Camera RAW database file" or the "Sidecar .XMP file"?

When you do the post processing with the RAW file (Actually is a .CR2 file with Canon), the .xmp file is created in the same folder. All your settings are stored in that file. So, when you open up the .CR2 RAW file again, it will have the same settings as you last set them. It's easier than you are making it out to be. Just go do a few. :)

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
BTW, Topaz has a 50% off sale until the end of this month (Aug 2014) on their Adjust plugin. That drops the price to $25. Definitely worth it.
Coupon code augadjust
http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust?mc_cid=c73582e158&mc_eid=c1fd9b3586A ton of nice post processing filters to really give your pix a pop. This package is good for just bringing out detail, balancing your pix, and adding clarity.

Here's a screen shot in the grid mode:

topaz-adjust.jpg

I went a bit overboard on this one of our grandson. You can get artsy fartsy easily if you are so inclined. :)

Idan_Manga.jpg

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
BTW, Topaz has a 50% off sale until the end of this month (Aug 2014) on their Adjust plugin. That drops the price to $25. Definitely worth it.

A photographer buddy and I both bought their Complete Collection package of all 15 filters. I've had all sorts of fun with them. Topaz Simplify 4 and Restyle have been quite useful as well as BW Effects and Lens Effects. Photography is fun and rewarding. Digital photography allows me to do things we couldn't have even dreamed about in the darkroom. The sky is the limit these days. And, Photoshop plugins are more icing on the cake.

Sponsors