Offtopic: Any interest in Surface Pro3 review

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hello people,

From my last trip to US I scored Microsoft's Surface Pro3 tablet/laptop thingy. Main purpose being a drawing medium for engraving designs.

Would there be an interest for its review from that perspective? I have also previous Pro2, so I could also do a little comparison. It is a rather nice machine, having laptop and quite good drawing capability in one package.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, Vilts, we are interested your experience with it. We would be using it in Federal Court for real-time reporting, since the software we use in that setting is incompatible with the iPad.

I also want to use it for the same things you are using it for - art work, design, sketching, etc. I presently use the iPad for the art work, but transferring files is cumbersome without a USB port. Apple wants to chain me to a mac, which I don't own and don't intend to own since we already have several rooms and offices equipped with PC systems. I would like to be able to back up files to a thumb drive or portable hard drive wherever I happen to be. The cloud is not accessible in some of the places I travel.

Last edited:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Ok, it'll take me couple of days do get my thoughts down and make a small vid. Unfortunately I don't have first hand experience with Cintiq, so can't do that comparison now.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Allright then. I thought I would do video review of it, but as there are many excellent ones already on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alpaxt7gGZU&list=UUiDJtJKMICpb9B1qf7qjEOA) I will just write it.

For a start I'd suggest you watch the above review by Tested.com as I pretty much agree with everything they say there. I've been using it for about a month now and there are many things to like about the device.

PROs:
  • Screen is just awesome. 2160 x 1440 in 12" size. Good colors, contrast
  • Device form factor - it's light, big enough, kickstand is very useful and works well
  • Works as a tablet
  • Fully functioning Win8, all programs work (compared to Surface RT which is weird, as you need to have special programs, so Adobe suit wont work etc)
  • You can draw on it and pen is actually quite precise (in certain situations)
  • Better than Surface Pro 2 in almost all aspects.

CONs
  • It is impossible to draw slowly and precisely. There's something wrong with the N-Trig tech. When you draw slowly and diagonally, the cursor just jumps around and makes jagged waves, not straight line. This "feature" really ****ed me off, because I just couldn't trace my engraving designs as I am used to. I had to really zoom in and then draw them quickly.
  • Pen lag. It is there, not a problem for me, but if your drawing style is different, it might be a problem. One Cintiq user tried it and that really annoyed her.
  • Thermal design on the device leaves wanting. When you do something CPU intensive, then the fan really starts up and after a while it starts to slow down the CPU, as it can't keep it cool enough. Though this doesn't happen during drawing, so not that big of a problem for me.

So, in conclusion. I am actually selling it and replacing with Cintiq 13HD.

If I'd need a laptop and make some notes from time to time, it would be nearly perfect device. Unfortunately I can't recommend it just for drawing. If only it would have Wacom-like digitizer, like previous Surface Pro 2 (it wasn't perfect either, but worked much better IMO)...