How to do primitive early medieval engraving?

Norhtman

This is my first post and I am just entering in to world of engraving. I would need to learn how to make this kind of pretty primitive engravings on silver.

What kind of tools you would use to make this kind of lines and patterns?

I will use one of these patterns:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/freebird/Suomi/Purhonen%20054%20Solkia%20Nastolasta.jpg

Pendant will be this kind:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
You'll get a lot of advice on tool setups, but I'd say a simple square graver in a wooden handle & that's it. You can find how to sharpen it by searching the forum.
The primitive bit will take care of itself :)

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A screwdriver,a nail and a rock for a hammer that doubles for sharpening system!!!!!! Seriously though, this "engraving" might have included some chasing work as well as simple lines and wriggle cuts. Chasing is ancient and probably was considered engraving to some extent. I am of the opinion that the tools needed would have come from the forge in their day so they might not have been quite the high carbon or crucible steel we have today but precious to say the least. Simple chisels and a small hammer with the use of a pitch bowl would fall into the traditional period tooling for this kind of work.

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
It is hard to see the technique used in the photos,but they appear to be chased and not engraved.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as a newcomer to this art, it's really moot as to whether it's engraving or chasing. this seemingly simple design may prove more difficult than you might think. i say this based on your question. i would seriously advise you to spend a few evenings at the computer, get a good notebook, and take lots of notes. you're in a situation now-- all that information is available to you right now. the forum, youtube, dvd's, and maybe even some classes or instructors may be near to you. most people who love this art, will usually help anybody that wishes to learn what you want to learn. is not so simple as to just one particular tool to do what you have shown. at the very least drawing skill, tool sharpening. tool techniques, perhaps a bit of basic heattreating, holding fixtures, and maybe more-- depending on how far you wish to go with this. be advised-- if you begin this, you may well become addicted for life. for most engravers, that's a good thing. we all wish you the best of luck in this fascinating art. be sure to show what you produce. seeing your work is an excellent way to learn what you've done right, as well as wrong.

Norhtman

Thanks for all information. I do know that this will be hard, but I am willing to test my abilities.

What do you think or gues: what has been the shape of chaser in edge lines?

Norhtman

Thanks for all information! I do thing this will be difficult but I will try.

Do you have any idea what shaped tool has been used for outlines (with those small notches)?

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all information! I do thing this will be difficult but I will try.

Do you have any idea what shaped tool has been used for outlines (with those small notches)?

Which outlines and what photo are you looking at?

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
The video in post 15 is repousse,the pendant in post#1 is chased.Tools needed for pendant... hammer,2 liner/tracers,2 planishers,tear drop,dull point.Size of tools would depend on diameter of pendant.Sample of shapes here http://www.mettleworks.com/sales/thestore.html

The image lines appear to be made with a liner and dull point tools,the photo blurs when enlarged.

The pendants in the link in post#1 would require fewer tools.

Norhtman

I had a change to see original pieces. They do not look like engraved. Most of the lines seem to be stamped! What do you think?
IMG_9667.JPG IMG_9666.JPG

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like all chasing tools...triangle,dot,flat "rectangle",possibly a tracer/liner. Working with non ferrous metals the tools can be made with masonary nails or w-1 steel stock.

Sponsors