Light painting fun

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, nice balance, great lighting. I was always taught to look for a large range of tones, from pure white to black black. Looks like you are on the spot, from the white on the vise to the black background. this is lacking in most photos. Nice work.

scott99

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
tools_1_setup.jpg

Here's a pic of my setup. It was shot at night with the lights turned off.

The first shot was done illuminating the tools with my iPad per Andy Shinosky's tutorial awhile back. The remaining shots were done with an LED flashlight raking the light to illuminate individual tools. After that, all files were loaded into a stack in Photoshop CC with extensive use of masks to bring in the individual tools which were not well lit during the first exposure.

I shoot 10-second exposures at f16 @ ISO800.

mrthe

Love this Photo Sam ,and thank you for share your setup,very interesting technique

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Sam
What make of vice is that? Is the graver with the rotating end used for inside ring engraving? What is the small container to the left of the vice? By the way, nice photo, looks like something you would see on a Lee Valley catalog cover.
Cheers
Don

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An excellent composition Sam and photoraphy, Rembrandt couldn't have done it better:biggrin:

tools_1-sm.jpg

imagesCALL43P0 copy.jpg

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Sam
What make of vice is that? Is the graver with the rotating end used for inside ring engraving? What is the small container to the left of the vice? By the way, nice photo, looks like something you would see on a Lee Valley catalog cover.
Cheers
Don

Thanks Don :)

Muehlmatt vise circa late 1800s.
Yep, for inside ring engraving. Patented 1912.
The small container on the left is an antique oil can. I believe they came with sewing machines and are quite common.

Sam

Staff member
Fun is right. Where the heck do you find the time. You are one Driven man!
Layne

Where do I find the time? For one, I rarely watch television and am not interested in sports. If I'm not sleeping I'm engraving, drawing, doing photography or something fun :happyvise:

phil

Elite Cafe Member
There are 2 very large wooden beer chests in that photograph of the setup! Shame on you! I hope they are for decorative purposes only.
PS. Really nice photography

Sam

Staff member
There are 2 very large wooden beer chests in that photograph of the setup! Shame on you! I hope they are for decorative purposes only.
PS. Really nice photography

Oh those...uh...those must be Abigail's. I didn't notice them. :cool:

Sponsors