SilentAire Compressor Lesson

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok, I feel stupid now! So what's the first thing I'm going to do? I'm going to share my lesson with you.

Now I'm not going to blame any of my mentors; their job is to teach me to engrave, not maintain equipment. I'm not going to blame my salesman; his job is selling me stuff. But after 3 years and 8 weeks of classes? At least tell me what you and I should know-RTFM!!!

So, if you are like me and own a Silentaire compressor, listen up!!!!!!

There is a filter-I didn't realize it was there. It's on the backside (at least the way I have it set up). It needs to be checked.

Scenario:

I took Sam's class last week. Took my hand pieces to have them checked. I was told they were full of oil. I was told to check the little filter on the air line at the compressor.

I get home and check.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407772639.507652.jpg
NASTY!

Which filter? You ask... Mine is 3 years old so it is in a black case. New ones are clear.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407772682.224572.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407772762.157948.jpg

Took it apart to clean the filter.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407772845.412490.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407772919.408086.jpg

The filters are color coded. Mine is green. Yours could be a different color. I ordered a new one $40... Ouch! And a bottle if oil. I might as well do an oil change.

Oh yeah. Check everywhere for oil...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407773068.174557.jpg

Run the compressor to blow out the lines and then reassemble. Remember to add a check of this filter to your monthly maintenance chores.

Lesson learned. Lesson shared.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
if that much oil is in the filters, etc., you might need to top off the crankcase...

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I'm glad I have a cheapo oiless compressor.
It makes a hell of a noise for 2 minute fill-up then switched off..with no mess to clean.

JohnR

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Beathard for this heads-up. I bought my silentaire used without a service manual and did not know of these. I have two filter cups. One with a green filter and the other with a white hard filter. Both were clean and free of oil and dirt, but I did have alot of water and my oil was low. I'm terrible with machine maintenance so Thanks again for the reminder.....JohnR

Andrew Biggs

Rule number one with all compressors is..........clean out the filters and regularly bleed them (both moisture/oil traps and actual compressor) to prevent moisture build up.

Rule number two is.......follow rule number one :)

Cheers
Andrew

mrthe

I have noticied that my compressor under his tank have a sort of big screw ( really big, i haven't a a tool of this size at my home to unscrew it) , is needed time to time unscrew it for a better cleaning of the tank? or the valve to drain whater ,oil and moisture at the half of the tank is enough?

image.jpg

I should drain the tank every week and clean the filters 1 time per month but i'm unsure that i do all in the right way,i use oil compressors since only 4 months.....

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paolo
On the top of the tank is a small valve, too the right and a little down from the filter system. Should be a hose connected to it this is the drain , open the valve and the water will be forced out by the pressure. No need to use the one in your diagram.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beathard
If the filter you show is the oil coalising filter, something may be wrong with the compressor. My silent air is over 10 yrs old and I have never had anything but a slight amount of oil in any of the filters. Warranty issue?

Andrew Biggs

To add to Dave's comment.

The drain is in Gerry's second photo. It is the valve on the lower right. Do not unscrew the one at the bottom of your tank!!!!

Turn the valve on slowly or water will spray everywhere when under pressure. Attach a hose to the valve and an old drink bottle on the end to collect the water. This drains the tank only. Do this every day or every few days but don't leave it for too long as the moisture can rust your tank.

Moisture and oil traps.......There is a small button at the bottom of these. With a rag in your hand press the button and this will allow water/oil to squirt out under pressure. This cleans the moisture/oil traps only. Do this when you bleed (drain) your tank.

Oil trap filters in particular need changing occasionally.

Cheers
Andrew

PS.....If you have been using your compressor for a few months without draining it, then I suggest you get a large bottle to collect the moisture or take it outside the first time you drain it. :)

Gerry....Have you been draining your tank??? I see no hose on your valve. How long have you been using this compressor?? It shouldn't have that much oil in it.

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I'd just filled my tank, but decided to open the valve underneath & let it empty at full speed, nothing but a damp paper kitchen roll sheet.
Not done this since last year..am I lucky?

mrthe

Thank you Andrew ,this is just what i do ,this is my compressor:

10603244_10204279338884354_7904899759768834850_n.jpg

I was just unsure if was needed time to time ,unscrew the valve at the bottom of the tank.

Thank you

mcengraving

any help appreciated

hello,
I recently purchased a collection of engraving equipment. So far ive had nothing but problems with everything ive tried to do so hopefully one of you could lend me some knowledge. I have a sil air 50-15 compressor hooked up to a brand new graversmith. Compressor worked fine for an hour or so and then I started noticing tan gunk and moisture in all my lines. its now worked its way through both filters and I can see some oil in my graversmith lines. When I purchased the compressor I was unaware or what it was and placed it on its side in my trunk. Not only did I have a trunk full of oil but I fear I may have damaged the compressor. Ive ran it 2 or 3 times bleeding the valve on the bottom of the tank but I still have a ton of oil in my lines. Is there anything I can do to fix the compressor and what steps do I have to take to remove the oil from my graversmith before I completely ruin it. Im trying hard here to get everything up and running and its just one mess after another... thank you all.

Latest posts

Sponsors