Inlaying red gold, partners request

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I had wanted to inlay red gold for sometime, unfortunately the only round wire red gold I ever find was an alloy of copper, gold, and nickel. Since red gold is use mostly in jewelry the purpose of nickel is to make the alloy "stronger" which make it almost impossible to inlay.
My usual gold provider is Hoover and Strong, they would provide me with an alloy of gold and copper but their minimum order is one ounce, I am looking to partner to share both the cost and the gold. Should you be interested please leave a message on this board or IM. If anyone had the opportunity to inlay that type of alloy (gold + copper) please let me know about the experience.
Please do understand that I do not know if the alloy I am looking for will be easier to inlay that the most common one but I am willing to take the chance, you need to be willing to take the same chance and understand that what you will get might go directly to your refining jar if it unusable for inlay.

Thank you.

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have not tried Hover and Strong's pink gold made of copper and gold but I have alloyed 24K gold and pure copper and it was as hard as a ball bearing. I bought a square inch of pink gold from Rio Grande jewelry supply and annealed it. It is very soft but looks almost the same as copper.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
I took a look in my Brehpohl for you. The finest red aloy inside is 750 red yellow gold its 83/000 Silver 167/000 Copper rest Gold Brinell HB is 125

I never inlayed it but I dont like the red gold for me its like a teenager ...

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
I've tried rose 18 Kt gold, 750 gold rest pure copper, almost impossible to inlay, i can use it only for small borders inlay...

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you find a good formula, you might try to have a local jeweler allow some for you. I know I do small batches of gold in my shop. Haven't tried red yet but it might be fun to research and find a softer formula.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I haven't done red gold yet. I'm about to...
Everyone says its really hard. I've inlaid copper, 18K gold, and even brass. How can a 75/25 mixture of gold/copper be harder than copper? Is it worse than brass or iron? If yes, how?

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are the recipes for shades of red that I know. There are probably others. I've tried the 22K pink and it inlays well. I'm about to try the others.

Pink Gold (22K)
Gold 91%. (10 parts)
Copper 9% (1 part)

Red Gold (18K)
Gold 75%
Copper 25%

Rose Gold (18K)
Gold 75%
Copper 22.25%
Silver 2.75%

Pink Gold (18K)
Gold 75%
Copper 20%
Silver 5%

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
75% gold 25% copper is hard as steel. I can inlay iron but not that stuff. I talked to a metallurgist about this and he told me it is the way that the atoms fit together in the alloy. I alloy all my own stuff with few exceptions. I made some of the alloy you described and had to sell it back to the refiner.
You might try this stuff. http://www.riogrande.com/Product/14K-Pink-Gold-Sheets-Dead-Soft/603022?Pos=17
I never tried to inlay it but it is very soft almost mushy.

Last edited:

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for your input, it is very educational.

Beatherd. What are you inlaying, wire or sheet? Can you make a small amount of 22K pink wire and sell it to me and if it work can you make more?

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Thierry. WGM metals have launched quite a selection of coloured alloys such as light, mid and dark green as well as pink tones. They are available in any amount you require http://wgmmetals.com/wire.html Also available dead soft.

Latest posts

Sponsors