Question: Power Hone disc

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of my diamond discs has debonded from its aluminum plate. Whatever was used to glue it originally has become hard and brittle and the disc just popped off.

Has anyone else experienced this and what adhesive did you use to reattach it? Seems like the adhesive should remain sticky so the disc could be peeled off later when it is worn out.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Clean both the disc and the base. Preheat the aluminum base and disc in an oven. Maybe 150 degrees?

Spread a thin layer of hot glue on the base. Put a 1/2" plug in the hole to keep the disc and base lined up.

I used a barbell weight on top the press 'em together...

Other cements will probably work, I chose the hot glue because it was handy and removeable in a reverse procedure.

Brian

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good idea Brian. Thanks, I probably wouldn't have considered it. That being said, perhaps heating will soften the existing glue and I can re-use it. I was going to try 3M Spray Mount but I can't locate the can that I have.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The main thing is that the cement (whatever kind you use) is THIN and even.

If you leave "bumps" of old uneven cement, yer gonna have an up & down "ride"...

Make sure you have some kinda plug to keep the center holes lined up too.

That's why I did it warmed up and used the barbell weight as a "press" to even it up and squish out any excess glue.

B.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have 4 disks, the diamond is bonded permanently to the steel. they averaged about 15 or so bucks on ebay.easy to keep clean. a tooyhbrush & some wd40

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i have 4 disks, the diamond is bonded permanently to the steel.
"Permanently bonded" is an oxymoron.

Are your discs not then glued to a 1/2" thick aluminum plate that fits on your power hone? We aren't discussing how the diamond is bonded to the disc, but rather the disc to the plate.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
You may not need to rebond the top plate/disk at all. I've got one 1/2 inch thick GRS 600 grit disk, and several EBay thin disks of other grits that I use by just screwing them down on top of the GRS disk (WAY cheaper that way). I think I used a slightly larger washer in the center. I just center them by eyeball. To use my Lindsay sharpening templates I just add a metal shim plate the thickness of the thin diamond disk under the template to make up the required half inch. For the adjustable graver jigs it doesn't matter.

Tom

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no. the diamond grit is bonded onto a flat, steel disk. has 3/8" arbor holes. good stuff at a very good price.
btw-- they're 6" in dia.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors