Help, please: Quality jewelry saw advice

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had purchased a cheap jeweler saw in the past, and it's just not right and the handle fell off. So not instead of buying cheap again, what do Jewelers recommend for a good professional quality jeweler saw.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Define cheap. Show me an image... There are simple ways to replace the handle.

What do you intend to use it for? For general metalsmithing, jewelry or just cutting a few inlays out of sheet stock.

Do you want tried and true - or something like what Lee Marshall is making?

Most important question is this... are you willing to put in the time it takes to master the tool, or just going use it once or twice a year?

Brian

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I use one of these for woodworking instead of a cheap coping saw. http://knewconcepts.com/

I also use it is as a jeweler's saw, expensive but worth every dime I spent on it. Coping saw blades are not as fragile as jeweler's saw blades, so breaking isn't an issue, but when cutting copper or brass for making hinges I needed a better saw to use jeweler's saw blades. It was recommended by a friend, and he was correct, that I would love it.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Basically to cut gold and silver, to shape a bracelet or to cut sheets for inlay, but I would like something that will last along time

Saludos,

Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use one of these for woodworking instead of a cheap coping saw. http://knewconcepts.com/

I also use it is as a jeweler's saw, expensive but worth every dime I spent on it. Coping saw blades are not as fragile as jeweler's saw blades, so breaking isn't an issue, but when cutting copper or brass for making hinges I needed a better saw to use jeweler's saw blades. It was recommended by a friend, and he was correct, that I would love it.

Which model do you use

Saludos,

Carlos

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member

I almost bought one of these, they are supposed to be excellent saws.

mrthe

The knewconcept are nice but personally i think if you are not a professional jeweller you don't need spent all that money.
I'm a professional Jeweller and i have the classic saw frame that here don't cost more than 20$ and work good

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
I go with mrthe I use the same saw for years and i eally love it. If you want to spend more money invest it in saw blades. You have to use first the cheap blades. If you master the saw and the blades dont break since they are sharp you can change to the expensiver blades like antilope

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I have three jeweler's saws. They are inexpensive, i.e., less than $30 each, and appear to be good quality. Why three? I started with a small (3") size for watchmaking. Subsequently, I found that I wanted larger ones for jewelry. For me, it's about quality, size and ease of adjustment. I'd like to get a KnewConcepts saw, but I don't use the jeweler's saws frequently enough to "justify" a fourth saw.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You have to use first the cheap blades. If you master the saw and the blades dont break since they are sharp you can change to the expensiver blades like antilope

I used the regular cheap saw frames for 30+ years and they worked OK. I now own the Knew Concepts saw frame and it's much nicer. I wish they would have been available when I was young. It's built to last for a lifetime.

As for saw blades (or tools in general)... nothing is more frustrating than cheap tools. Cheap jeweler saw blades are no exception. I found the Rio Grande Laser Gold blades to be my favorite. They are made in Switzerland and have a rounded back side for easier cutting of curves. I recommend buying the best tools you can possibly afford and keep them for a lifetime.

Foster

I've owned three different styles of jeweler's saws (Knew Concepts, Swiss and German) and would recommend the German made frame. I had problems keeping blades properly tensioned with the other two styles and at first I chalked it up to user error, but I've never had a blade come loose in the German frame. The handle has come off once or twice but it's no matter to drive it back on like you would a file handle. Not as well balanced as the Knew Concepts saw, but better than the Swiss and cheaper than both.

Jesse Foster

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
I used the regular cheap saw frames for 30+ years and they worked OK. I now own the Knew Concepts saw frame and it's much nicer. I wish they would have been available when I was young. It's built to last for a lifetime.

As for saw blades (or tools in general)... nothing is more frustrating than cheap tools. Cheap jeweler saw blades are no exception. I found the Rio Grande Laser Gold blades to be my favorite. They are made in Switzerland and have a rounded back side for easier cutting of curves. I recommend buying the best tools you can possibly afford and keep them for a lifetime.

I don´t know the Knew Concepts Saw I don´t think they are obtainable in Germany, but I´ll give them a try in the future.

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I have three of the classic German adjustable jeweler's saw frames that 'mrthe' speaks of. Have used them for years, and one has a deeper depth than do the other two. Also, break a blade, and you can shorten up and use the larger broken blade. The coping saw frames, and the newer, skeletal framed models have their place maybe in the woodworking fraternity, but they're not necessary to do the same work as the old classic models can do. Plus, the classics are cheaper. Stay away from anything in the Pacific Rim area, except for a few, select Taiwanese items that seem to be of good quality. I don't know who all is making jeweler's saw frames these days.

Latest posts

Sponsors