Question: Interest in project timer

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hello people,

I was wondering whether there would be an interest in project timer "thingy" (module? device? whatever you can call it).

What this timer would offer, is to track time spent on different projects on minute-by-minute basis. So later you know exactly time spent and how much to bill clients or whatever.

My own requirements for it are simple:
- manage many projects
- track each project by minute
- easy to read display
- big and easy start/stop button for starting/stopping the timer
- runs on rechargeable 18650 batteries

First prototype is running on breadboard (currently tracks only one project) and I find it rather useful, especially because I have so many interruptions during the work (2 daughters take their toll :)). So now I don't have to write down all the start-stop times and calculate it manually.

Theoretically it'd be possible to add even little bookkeeping to it, so the timer would write down the start-stop times to a CSV file on SD card and later you can view that on computer and whatnot. But that is not really a necessary feature and would add cost and time to the project.

On the photo there are 3 things - blue board is the microcontroller itself with all the smarts in it. Small blue board is "watch module", which keep the current date and time for years with that small battery. Breadboard with display module and 2 buttons - start/stop and reset (resets time on project). Display shows current date and time and minutes with large numbers (that will change to hours and minutes, or even days, hours and minutes).

If there would be an interest for such a thing (with proper case, buttons, keypad, probably better OLED display), I could start thinking how to make 10+ of these things. If not, then I make just one for me and one for my dad :).

Yes, I know there are tons of apps for this on phone and computer, but it really doesn't work for me. Too inconvenient to unlock the phone every time just to start/stop the timer. Plus, I can't see easily the status of it.

Attachments

• project_timer2.jpg
    project_timer2.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 271

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts, not that I want to order one of these ( I am almost retired so time isn't that important anymore...)
But to me this looks like a very useful tool, I rekognize the situations you discribe.
Many interuptions during work and then you lost any idea of time.
I think this is a nice invention for craftsman.

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Vilts,

Do you cook/bake? (I do) A kitchen timer will do all these things. (except write it down/record to load into a computer)

Track 3 to 8 "projects" at once... something I do a lot when cooking - not so much at the bench... "multi-tasking" was never my thing...

http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-400...903597&sr=1-20&keywords=kitchen+timer+digital

http://www.amazon.com/PT1A-Digital-...d_sbs_k_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MAK9EQSV7HZ7XXTQ9GK

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tay...-kitchen-timer/6085839.html?utm_source=Amazon

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/fmp-151-8800-8-in-1-programmable-kitchen-timer/3591518800.html

Brian

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A friend I had years ago (he's dead and gone) used to use a Gra Lab timer to keep track of his woodworking projects. It helped that he already had a couple of them from his darkroom. He was a retired studio photographer. But, it was easy to use and accurate. If the phone rang, he would flip the switch to shut it off. When he started again, he switched it on again. I think there are probably a whole lot of such alternatives for timers without having to reinvent the wheel.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I'm thinking of getting a digital chess game timer. One side is going when in working other side going while not. Record time when I stop for the day start over the next day. That way I can see exactly how much time is wasted and what not. By anything will do.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd be interested if it could keep get rack of several projects and was inexpensive.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Nice, Brians suggestions come the closest to what I am looking for and actually might do the trick. Although these track max of 4 projects (8 project one seems to do only countdown), should be enough for most of the time (max 100 hours is little over 2 work weeks worth of time and might, just might, be not good enough). But they're not extensible as my own would be, just write some new code and new functionality will be in place... Yes, I know I suffer from "not invented here syndrome" too :).

I did think about chess timer and regular "egg timer" as well, they don't have enough time in them. Not sure about the darkroom timer... Although I'm as computer geek as you can get, I really don't like pure software solution for this. I tried and just not for me.

Not quite sure what the final cost would be like. Enclosure will dictate a lot, electronics is around 20 USD.

Anyway, conclusion seems to be that there's no need to make more than 2-3 of these (If I have to order PCBs, then there would be room for 10, that's the minimum reasonable amount to order :)). Everybody has their own methods to track time and that is totally cool.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when i began engraving years ago- i developed 2 habits.
1. i wore a small stopwatch. would time everything i did that related to the job,
2. i used different colors of paper for different classes of work. engraving by hand- yellow. machine eng. pink,
laser work on green and so on. each color kept on a separate clipboard. each type of work had a print file in the computer. this way i could do "work sheets" appropriate to each type job. the stopwatch was the first thing i grabbed when starting a job. after a time, i knew pretty much what a given job would require. this approach allowed me to make realistic price quotes. info such as this could easily be tracked on a "spread sheet"
on the different sheets, i'd make notes and sketches when talking with a client. i still use color-coded paper, but no longer track time, unless an unusual job or one i'm not sure of. to the newbies out there, quoting a price to a potential client can be confusing. keeping track of time, mtl costs, postage, business phone costs. advertizing, and a host of others must be accurately recorded. not doing this, you're sure to be giving some part of your work away for free. sounds like a pain to do this, not near the pain of realizing you just didn't charge enough for a job that just left your place.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I picked up a simple time clock at the local SAM's club. The old fashioned kind that uses the paper cards. When I want to track a project I just grab a fresh card. Records the time to 1/100th of an hour.

Looked on Amazon and couldn't find one near as cheap as I recall paying for mine so shop around.
The one I have is actually this one

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a small timer similar to Brian's #2, times for two projects (don't work on more than that) and goes for 25 hours per time. When I go over 25 hours on a project, I just add the times up for a total. I try to keep my stuff simple, like me.

Bill

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
In my prior life I worked in accounting, my time was billed in 5 minute increments. I spent so many years looking at the clock when I started and finished that it became a habit. Even today I still watch the clock as to when I start a project and when I stop, if I was in this to make a living, it would be easy to write the star and end time on a cheat sheet like I did before. In all 3 of my shops I have large 12" diameter clocks hanging on the wall, there are 3 of them in my big shop at home. Pencil, paper and my clocks are all I would need.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I use two Radio Shack timers. On is set on countdown mode when I start, just to remind me to take a break to stretch and walk around after 60 or 90 minutes, and one counting up, to keep track of the time spent. The hard part is remembering to stop it and restart it when the phone rings or the puppy has to go out.

Vilts, can you add a lanyard that will yank me back to the bench after a phone call?

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
It seems to me that running an excel application on a small netbook would the easiest cheapest way to proceed, you could even keep track of what you have accomplish on a given day.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used a time clock for years. every project has a card that describes the project, who what when etc. Any graphics are attached, smoke pulls at whatever stage I think should be recorded. Log in on project, list task, If I stop work for more than one min I log out then back in. Customer can pay while I fill my coffee cup. Fred