Ngraver magnagraver.

jzknives

So im pretty new and I have been struggling to progress with hand tools. While I like hammer and chisel , i want to move on to a powered setup.

I dont have alot of money so im limited to the magnagraver which i like because of its flexability to do single hits like a chisel.

But here is where im worried. I am worried about how much the flex shaft gets in the way of working.

I have a ball vice so I am assuming this will extend the flexability of the tool 10 fold , where as without a ball vice im sure working with it would be extremely hard compared to a tiny vinyl hose from a air powered handpiece.

I tried looking online for videos to see the tool in action , but I could not find any.

Would a magnagraver be a good first power tool?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you will not find instructional videos online, there are some but the ones that go into depth have to be purchased, those DVDs usually have to be purchased 50 dollars or 250 dollars is a great price considering what you learn, remember that class can run you in a thousands considering the class and room and board meals travel etc....

In my opinion a grs or lindsay classic you can't go wrong.... They are more expensive but you only buy once

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It doesn't matter if you're using a flex shaft or the "tubing" style hand pieces, the work is turned into the tool, not the other way around.

Bill

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I have had the opportunity to try both the Ngraver and the Foredom Powergraver, both units work off of the Foredom flex shaft. The Foredom Powergraver is cheaper by well over a $100. If and when I go to a power unit, I will go with the Foredom Power Graver. Otto Frei has the cheapest, and if you look for it they have a 10% off coupon to sweeten the deal. The Ngraver did have the more comfortable hand piece, but once I have the Foredom I could add the Ngraver and use it off the same power unit.

This is a hobby for me, I can justify the cost of the power units even though I am not earning income. Just like I can justify the time to learn because I am retired and this keeps me busy at the least expense. The little experience I have with the 2 units, proved to me that either will handle my needs, and from what I have seen, their resale is pretty good.

Would I be better off spending the big money for a air powered unit, I don' know, but I know for the extra money I can buy a lot of other tools that like the Powergraver I want but I do not need. The tools make it easier, they don't necessarily make you better at the "art" you have chosen to do.

jzknives

Can the particular flex shaft machine the ngraver uses be used with rotary tools or are they different?

Will any flex shaft machine work or do you need a certain rpm?

jzknives

It doesn't matter if you're using a flex shaft or the "tubing" style hand pieces, the work is turned into the tool, not the other way around.

Bill
That's what I assumed. But having read threads about the tool I have heard complaints on its mobility

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Can the particular flex shaft machine the ngraver uses be used with rotary tools or are they different?

Will any flex shaft machine work or do you need a certain rpm?

The Foredom for the Powergraver runs a little slower, but will still work with the rotary tools. But I won't use mine that way, I have the regular Foredom and a Wecheer flexshaft units. The hand pieces are interchangeable.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As the work is turned into the graver, the mobility isn't that big of an issue. It will become one later down the road. My suggestion would be to find either an older Gravermax unit or save and get a new Graversmith. It's a simple unit but will cover 99 percent of what you would need. Good tools take a lot of time off the learning curve.
And as always, the best thing you could do for yourself would be to take a class and that way get to use all the available equipment out there and decide if you want to go further.

jzknives

As the work is turned into the graver, the mobility isn't that big of an issue. It will become one later down the road. My suggestion would be to find either an older Gravermax unit or save and get a new Graversmith. It's a simple unit but will cover 99 percent of what you would need. Good tools take a lot of time off the learning curve.
And as always, the best thing you could do for yourself would be to take a class and that way get to use all the available equipment out there and decide if you want to go further.
Ya im definately going to try to take a class this fall/winter. But at this stage i have quite alot invested already (600 dollar ball vise) and I would feel really bad if I dropped it (the hobby not the vise lol).

Thats why I want to invest in something like a magnagraver that will get me cutting stuff. Once i have some projects completed , I think It will motivate me to get me more involved in the process.

There is nothing like a complete project to give you confidence. and nothing quite like ruining that project on the last cut. Thats why i want to try to maximize my enjoyment while trying to minimize the ability for me to make mistakes as a result of my inexperience. From what I understand , the power tools make it ALOT easier , but you still need to be great at the basics.

This is a very interesting hobby.

Interesting because I cannot imagine how this has survived the ages. 99% of the hobbies i have partaken in have some sort of instant gratification. This one is literally a wall of frustration 400 feet high with a an irradiated minefield on the other side of the wall with a tropical beach resort after the minefield.

Also , how much is a gravermax?

I checked ebay and there are a bunch of chinese ones. And the magnagraver on ebay was more expensive then the one offered by ngraver!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stay away , run from those Chinese knockoffs, you'll just be throwing money down the drain.

Saludos,

Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Save your money and frequent the forum sometimes great deal come up you just have to be ready for them

Saludos,

Carlos

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
You may have said and I missed it, but where do you live..Anyone close to West Ky are always welcome to visit me and try the tools I use..

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my first powered unit was the magnagraver. well made & a good tool. but i did find disfavor with the flex shaft. mr phillips sells quality. his gravers and such are very good. funny- many engravers were hobby oriented. i suspect that your hobby may become a lifestyle if you're not careful. this artform has a way of getting in your bloodstream, never to leave ! if it does, you'll likely have no regrets. best of luck to you.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
There has been some excellent engraving done with the NGraver tool. There are libraries of great work done with hammer and chisel.

Frankly, it seems that it is more the effort put into the work and less the tool (except for properly sharpened bits, perhaps). No doubt some of the guys here could probably engrave professionally with a rock and a nail if they had to get a job done.

Can't go wrong if you're engraving, no matter what you're using. Bear in mind that the items tend to hold their value pretty well no matter what you buy, so when you resell you won't take too much of a beating if you take care of it!

My 2 cents, and not meant to contradict anyone else - Bob

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Does anybody have any videos of it being used?

Contact Ray at Ngraver, if they can I would bet they would make one for you. 1-860-823-1533

Also post your location in your profile, there might be someone that lives close to you on the Café that has one and would be willing to let you do a test drive.

Last edited: