info on Lindsay equipment

johninok

Been foolin with this stuff with a borrowed gravermach. Seems to work fine for my skill level. I am considering buying my own equipment, and want your input on the Lindsay equipment, mainly if it has the oomph to cut the steel deep enough for the heavy wheat cut that I do. Seems like their stuff is thought of pretty highly, dont want to buy and wish I had got something else. Anyone in OK or North Texas that would be willing to let me have a go for a few minutes?

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your skill level has nothing to do with it. Either system will serve your needs for the rest of your life no matter what level of skill you attain. It is something you need to play with though if you can so you can make the best decision for you. Sample em' all and then make the choice. You can do a search here or on the Lindsay forum and read for days on this subject. Off hand I can't think of anyone in your area that has anything Lindsay that you can sample but if you contact him directly he can tell you for sure.

Good luck in your quest.

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
All of the systems work well. There may be someone near you who has access to them, if you post where you are at. Right now I have access to GRS, Lindsey Classic, and the EnSet; the EnSet is fast becoming my favorite, for its versatility; but that is my personal opinion, it's also more cost effective. I love them all though, I find myself wishing I had all three, everywhere I work because I like them for different uses. Tim is right give them a try

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am most fond of my Gravermach. I have used the Lindsay and while it's nice, it's not for me. I personally think the gravermax, gravermach units are easier to get the hang of for a beginner. I am now looking towards the EnSet as a second unit but I think that the multitude of settings may be too much to of a good thing for a beginning engraver.
Many who came up hand pushing like the Lindsay. I personally can't tolerate the hamster with a jackhammer sound of them.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
When I became a jeweler, 30+ years ago, I didn't need glasses. An optivisor worked just fine. Now that I am an engraver, I need glasses AND magnification. The more work I do under the 'scope, the better it is.

30 years ago I would have loved to have had the Lindsay, take it to shows and demonstrate/personalize, all for extra money. Now I would need to carry a good scope with me, requiring electricity, so the Gravermax with the compressor works just fine. I do all my work at the store and am not tempted to take my show on-the-road!

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When lolling at the systems go beyond the hand piece. For example if you really like the GRS quick change collets and the easy graver fixture, you won't like them on a Lidsay (they are not compatable). If you like the Linday template sharpening system you don't want the FRS quick change hand pieces.

They are systems that are designed to work together.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I started off on the Hammer & Chisel...then moved to the Lindsay Classic and like it a lot. Will at some point move up to a PalmControl. After I bought and learned to use my Lindsay system I attended a Class at GRS taught by Rex... Used the GRS equipment the whole week there. After that exposure I can honestly say both systems will serve equally well and both are quality systems. I still use the H & C for hogging out backgrounds on some HD rocker covers but 97% of my stuff is done with my Lindsay. You will see Master level work done with all the equipment out there....we, the users, are the inconsistent variable not the hand tools.

Donny

Jesse.beckham

Elite Cafe Member
John, I've got a lindsey. In in Wichita Falls. You are more than welcome to come try it out.

Jesse Beckham
Lost Penguin Leather
Wichita Falls, Texas

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I learned on GRS tools and without ever trying one bought a Lindsay palmcontrol... huge risk but something just told me I'd like it and I had heard nothing but good things. Got one, love it, been using it for a couple of years. I have heard it said that the palm control function cuts down the learning curve a lot... it almost feels like the tool knows what to do better than I do. I do however believe that an engraver can do just as good a job with a cheaper tool, it just takes longer to learn and more skill.

The palm control is portable, you can run it on paintball compressed air cylenders, little air cartridges you buy at bicycle shops for filling bicycle tires... last aprox 10min from memory. Bigger bottles last for ages. If you can get one and a good place to fill it for cheap or free it's cool to have. (portable tools... other cool ones are the kincrome battery powered rotary pen, good fun, and ram is selling the mystisa pocket battery drill cheap at the moment, never tried it but looks so cool)... back to the point.

GRS tools are great, Lindsay tools are great. They aren't entirely compatible... everyone who knows something here chime in. The grs gravers I think are slightly different size and hard to use in lindsay sharpening templates. Use the Lindsay blanks in the Lindsay templates because they are a snug fit and you just get a better sharpened point. Lindsay templates are a cheap way to sharpen in my view. 200ish should set you up with a basic set... if you want to buy one of every type of geometry available it gets pricey... ps... get the drill press attachment with the thin sharpening discs... fantastic initial graver shaping tool.

The person holding the tool is the main thing, your determination to make something beautiful will decide what the outcome is, next most important is the tool razor sharp, which tools you buy is important though, and I hope we're being of some help with the decision.

Sorry, you could try mine but I'm in Australia :)

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

I have used the GRS Quick Change Gravers in my Classic and Always have one in the GRS Quick change push Handle.
I like the size and shapes of these and they are easy to regrind when needed.
AirAmp

Latest posts

Sponsors