tool search

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry, if your running a grs hand piece, you can remove the quick change collet, and the n graver punch fits right in there

ngraver are very durable punches

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You can make them with oil hardening drill rod and engrave the bead in the end. Heat to yellow and quench in a small can of beeswax and allow to reach room temp before taking it out.
Recipe courtesy of E.C. Prudhomme.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam. Yes, that is what I did. I learned that from one of your tutorials on the web. I bought one of the dot blocks you talked about. It works but is time consuming. I have so much engraving to do that I hate to spend the time making tools. The first try I bent the end of the punch because I hit it too hard when punching it into the block. After I got the nack of it it works OK. Any suggestions on how to polish the inside dome?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam. Yes, that is what I did. I learned that from one of your tutorials on the web. I bought one of the dot blocks you talked about. It works but is time consuming. I have so much engraving to do that I hate to spend the time making tools. The first try I bent the end of the punch because I hit it too hard when punching it into the block. After I got the nack of it it works OK. Any suggestions on how to polish the inside dome?

Blaine Lewis makes a polished cutting bit from carbide and recuts his beading tools. He can make them deeper if desired and it freshens them up. I can't instruct you on how to make the cutter, but it shouldn't be that difficult with a bit of trial and error, and once it's made it'll be ready when you need it. I believe he spins the cutter in a flex shaft handpiece.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Set an old cut diamond upside down into a steel plate. Spin some steel rod or an old beading tool in your flex shaft and press against the point/culet of the diamond. It will cut your dome which can then be polished by spinning on diamond impregnated leather. That is how us diamond setters do it in the early hours of the morning when we need one asap. This method will cut hardened steel too so no worries with softening, hardening then tempering.

Latest posts

Sponsors