The ultimate pencil sharpener

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hate it when things like this are shown! I have a problem with points not being sharp enough and I thought a .2 mm mechanical pencil would be adequate, but NO-O-O-O it isn't. Now I'll have to get me one of these. I hate working with a "4x4" under the scope.

Bill

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bringing this thread back up to the top.

I finally couldn't resist any longer and got myself one. At least I managed not to get three (but really, the third one is only $5 with the deal they offer...).

Mine arrived today so I did some pictures to tempt the rest of you.

I did an A/B test between it and a little hand held sharpener.
CFS1.jpg

Obviously the Classroom Friendly sharpener (A) is a lot less messy - and that's with most of the mess fallen to the deck.
CFS2.jpg

Under the scope you can see how much nicer the point is from the better sharpener.
CFS3.jpg

Even after using my pencil pointer you can still the point is better.
CFS4.jpg

So if you want a really nice point on your pencil you know what you have to do now.

(And Carlos they also have a 36 pack if you want ;))

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i assume that's similar to a Dahle. i've had one for about 15 years- probably cost me $30 way back then.

I bought the Dahle in the middle of January. It's the best sharpener I've ever been around. I was already familiar with the brand as I have a Dahle 554 rotary paper cutter I use for trimming photographs. Here is the sharpener on Amazon:

Dahle Professional-Grade Rotary Sharpener

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sharpener VS .3mm lead point

What are the advantages of using this sharpener vs a .3mm leads in a mechanical pencil? I've been using the mechanical pencil.

Thanks

DiLeon

I can see being in this forum is addicting to tools of the trade already....plus the other forums....darn it..just bought me a pencil sharpener. I am the old fashion schooled ....sharpen with sand paper and a scary sharp knife....this look easier.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can see being in this forum is addicting to tools of the trade already....plus the other forums....darn it..just bought me a pencil sharpener. I am the old fashion schooled ....sharpen with sand paper and a scary sharp knife....this look easier.

Naaahhhhh, thats just a myth....(looking around as if doing something suspicious) what do you have for sale?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I normally use a 0.3mm pencil. This - especially combined with the pencil pointer - is a finer point. You can get a real needle out of it.
Combined with a hard lead pencil I think this will be great for doing really detailed work under the scope.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
The Dahle looks good, Mitch. This one has no adjustments I can find, and it's not so good with colored pencils I'm told. So far it's sharpened everything perfectly but a 4B Prismacolor graphite pencil. It kept feeding the pencil after it should have stopped. I guess that's because of the 4B's really soft lead.

Monkster: I tried nearly every kind of pencil I have on hand, from common pencils in the bottom of the desk drawers to art pencils like Prismacolor, Mitsubishi, Derwent, etc. It performed beeeeeyoutifully on all except the 4Bs.

sam: early on i used wooden ones. then switched to .5 &.3 mechanical. lately, i bought a few 2mm holders and a sharpener. i'm happy with the points, but a 6h is the hardest leads i could find. i wish there was a source for 2mm leads that were a bit harder.

monk

Staff member

i was using the wooden ones. rough sharpening with a meat cleaver. was breaking too many points so i went with mechanical pencils. no joke about the meat cleaver. i spent months grinding one to a hollow ground blade ! it actually gave a smooth shave ! insanity in all its' forms !

monk

Staff member
I normally use a 0.3mm pencil. This - especially combined with the pencil pointer - is a finer point. You can get a real needle out of it.
Combined with a hard lead pencil I think this will be great for doing really detailed work under the scope.

double darn! never knew of a pointer for a.3..

Latest posts

Sponsors