The ultimate pencil sharpener

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I admit to my geeky nature and obsession with odd things like pencil sharpeners. If you're like me and like really REALLY sharp pencils, then this might be the best $25 you'll ever spend. Not only does it make 'em sharp, but it hollow grinds them. I made this quick video to show you how well this sharpener works.

After sharpening I go one step further and sharpen the very end on sandpaper to an absolute needle point for precise drawing under the microscope.

Available from ClassroomFriendlySupplies.com

[video=youtube;cmSwStodP7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmSwStodP7s[/video]

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Beats my 50 cent sharpener from Big Lots. A pack of 3 could be in my future, one for me, one for the grandchildren and one for our teacher friends Christmas. Thanks for the info.

Sam

Staff member
Beats my 50 cent sharpener from Big Lots. A pack of 3 could be in my future, one for me, one for the grandchildren and one for our teacher friends Christmas. Thanks for the info.

I bought the 3-pack as well. One for my studio, one for Abigail, and one for my classroom at GRS.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, sam- please== before you finally snap== where do you get wooden pencils hard enough to withstand the machining process you put them through. ? around these parts, the hardest pencil leads aren't able to withstand micromachining as you show there.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i assume that's similar to a Dahle. i've had one for about 15 years- probably cost me $30 way back then. mine also has a small adjustment knob in the center of the crankshaft that allows for setting the fineness of the point. if you're sharpening something like a pastel pencil that won't take a really fine point, you can set it to make consistently blunt points.

mine is the Professional model on this page: http://www.dahle.com/products/sharpeners/rotary.htm

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
The Dahle looks good, Mitch. This one has no adjustments I can find, and it's not so good with colored pencils I'm told. So far it's sharpened everything perfectly but a 4B Prismacolor graphite pencil. It kept feeding the pencil after it should have stopped. I guess that's because of the 4B's really soft lead.

Monkster: I tried nearly every kind of pencil I have on hand, from common pencils in the bottom of the desk drawers to art pencils like Prismacolor, Mitsubishi, Derwent, etc. It performed beeeeeyoutifully on all except the 4Bs.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It kept feeding the pencil after it should have stopped.

that's one of the slick features of the Dahles. when you reach the preset level of 'pointiness' it stops cutting and the crank handle just spins with no resistance. you could literally used it blindfolded.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, seems like i'm going to go after some additional grocery money. and ugh, another learning curve.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Bought one. I use 9H pencils, they aren't easy to sharpen (I usually use my bench grinder, that leaves a sloppy point)>
This worked perfectly.

Thanks!

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
I will if I can find this thread again when I get home. I am currently off on a family trip.
G

Latest posts

Sponsors