Help, please: help design engraving for memorial knife for pa

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you all know I lost my mums father this Tuesday gone, 22 July 2014. And I decided since he was telling all the other poor patients about how I make beautiful knives I would try to prove him right and build this one in his memory. I am looking for all the input possible and all the help anyone has time for to help me to improve my design. Or something new completely for a bit of a challenge.

Titanium folder here was my last design and engraving. The rest are of the knife in question.

Attachments

• IMAG4518.jpg
    IMAG4518.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG4512.jpg
    IMAG4512.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG4517.jpg
    IMAG4517.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG4491.jpg
    IMAG4491.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 241

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
My condolences on the loss of your loved one. I like the idea of the memorial knife, something the family will cherish. Sorry I can be of no help with regards to design, your abilities far exceed my current skill set. From what I have seen your mum's father was right. You do make beautiful knives.
Best Regards
Don

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
such a loss is difficult to deal with. i think it's a grand way to share ones' feelings in this manner. to my eye, the center and scroll on the right side produce "turbulence" in the visual sense- on an object such as your knife. i think the right hand scroll should go the other way, creating flow and "grace". i do like scroll that way, but for me it depends upon the size & shape of the object being engraved. i know when you've finished this project, it will be a "keeper" for generations to come !

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Engraving

Really I am open to suggestions, I don't know how to improve, adapt, diversify, I want to learn how to draw better, design better, and engrave better. I don't know how to make my shading lines bring work to life. I don't know what I am looking for but i want to get better.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
your desire is much like walking on a train track. stay on the track long enough, and you will realize the destination. some say it's not the destination, but the journey. in any event, time will satisfy those areas you mentioned. when the day comes when you can "look back" at things, you will take comfort and joy that you chose to become an engraver . perhaps you're already at that point with your knifemaking. early on, i had a real resentment at times for the huge amount of time i spent doing and learning things for which there was never a hint of profit. at that time, i was thinking of the train station. to hades with that, i'm enjoying the journey.

Latest posts

Sponsors